PDA

View Full Version : Nature's velcro

Mike Fuhr
12-23-2009, 05:15 PM
I took this photo several years ago. I can't remember the name of this flower, although I have heard it called nature's velcro because the plant, not just the seeds, stick to everything.:confused: It's pretty neat. Anyway, have not been able to get out so I'm digging into some older photos...

D50
100-300 F4
F5.6 (-1.0)
1/800
ISO 200

C and C welcome...

Julie Kenward
12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Mike you got some great details for f5.6! Nice work! I do think the image feels a tad dark in the flower and bud area - I might push those and bring them up just a tiny bit more - I think they'd pop even more against that black BG.

One thing I always try to do, too, is to get the leaves on the stem either all in or all out of the frame. Try cloning the bottom two and compare the two images. I think you might find you like the "cleaner" look.

Well done!

Jerry van Dijk
12-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi Mike, now that's what I call an interesting plant. It's nice to meet all those interesting species from the US we don't get in Europe here on the forum.
I too find the image a bit dark. I like the details you captured, as well as the fact that there are both flowers and fruits on the plant. Hope you dig up some more oldies!

Mike Fuhr
12-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the comments Jules and Jerry. It does look dark -- I went back and bumped up the exposure a tad. I also took your advice and removed that lone leaf just right of the stem. Maybe remove the other one as well? I'm torn on that one. Anyway, hope it looks a little better now...:)

Allen Sparks
12-24-2009, 11:18 PM
I like the repost much better - it pops alot more. I'd keep the lower leaf.

Allen

Don Lacy
12-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi Mike, I like the flower in the repost but prefer the BG in the original so I used curves and a Layer mask to get the best from both.

Jerry van Dijk
12-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Mike, both reposts work for me. I like your version with the one cut-off leaf missing. Agree on keeping the other one.

Mike Fuhr
12-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Mike, I like the flower in the repost but prefer the BG in the original so I used curves and a Layer mask to get the best from both.

I like what you did. I tend to like dark, rich backgrounds as well. Thanks for playing around with it!:D