PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Sandpiper

Alan Murphy
12-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Spotted Sandpiper

The Woodlands, TX

D300s. 600, f4, 1/5000, +0.7 EV, ISO 640.

I just can't leave these guys alone.

This is another placed rock at my local lake.

Grace Scalzo
12-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Another beauty, Alan. Only small thing I note is the double catch light. I like this plain rock the best as it looks more natural to me. (As compared to the ones with vines on them)

Jan Wegener
12-23-2009, 05:19 PM
oh come on :) Another killer image from that spot. The open beak is a big bonus :)

Alan Murphy
12-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Another beauty, Alan. Only small thing I note is the double catch light. I like this plain rock the best as it looks more natural to me. (As compared to the ones with vines on them)

Hey Grace, I know everyone has a different opion on catchlights. I always remove the second catchlight if I introduced it (as in flash) But when shooting bird on water in full sun, there is always a second catchlight (sun reflected on the water) Because it's natural, I leave it. I agree with you about the rock. Merry Christmas to you and Ted.

Bryan Hix
12-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Beautiful capture. The light is great as well as the open mouth. Seems like you couldn't have gotten any lower for this one. :)

Jim Fenton
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a real problem with this image Allan that being that I can't find one single thing I can think of that I would have done differently if it were mine.

I agree with you BTW relative to naturalize occurring 2nd catch lights.

Juan Aragonés
12-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Another T E R R I F I C image Alan. Would not change a single pixel on it. I totally agree with you about second catchlights. Superb job :)

Grace Scalzo
12-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I see your point, Alan, and thanks for taking the time to offer your reasoning, which upon contemplation makes perfect sense.

paul leverington
12-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi Allen!

Well the moss looks better--or more real on this one:D. Some of that characteristic ebbing water wake is gone as compared to the other rock you posted--which may have something to do with the shape of the rock? Or maybe the speed of the water is different? Either way I miss it. I love the bird and open beak. A pose where he's looking at us head turned to the side--and throw in a set of crossed legs would look nice too(I'm not asking for too much am I?;)). Also--would it be possible to set up another rock behind this one that would go fairly somewhat out of focus and another further than that, and another, and another,an so on?--to get a look of a layered field of lonely rocks in a "vast" expanse of that sweet blue? Nothing of course that would overpower this rock.

Paul