PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Gull

Tom Dolezal
12-23-2009, 01:48 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Avian/_V2C2224-Edit-2.jpg

From a visit to the Scottish Highlands earlier this year.

Technical: Canon 1D MK 3, Canon 300 f/2.8 IS,f/5.6, 1/1000, 0 EV, ISO 800, 0 EV, AV mode, handheld

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Steve Kaluski
12-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Tom, would like to see a bit more room for the bird to fly into IMHO. Detail is there and at ISO800 there will not be too much noise, which helps the very contrasty image. Would be tempted to remove the white high spots under the wing which are slightly distracting.

Can you add a bit more narrative as it does help the reader. Glad to see you have broken away from the sq format at last:D

Steve

Steve Kaluski
12-23-2009, 03:24 PM
BTW, I think it needs to go into Avian section.;)

Phil Ertel
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Tom, I like the vertical presentation and the diagonal line that the bird introduces into the image. I find the view of the top of the bird pleasing. I also like the eye contact. If I am not mistaken the bird appears to have a bit of a blue cast. It is most apparent to me on the back of the bird. To show you what I mean, attached is a repost with some color correction to remove the cast on the bird. Hopefully it still represents what you saw in the field. Thanks for sharing.

Juan Aragonés
12-24-2009, 02:39 AM
I like the strong diagonal composition in this image and the contrast between white and blue. Agree with Steve that the bird is a bit tight in the frame. Neat eye contact and good job on the exposure. Keep them coming :)

Tom Dolezal
12-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Tom, would like to see a bit more room for the bird to fly into IMHO. Detail is there and at ISO800 there will not be too much noise, which helps the very contrasty image. Would be tempted to remove the white high spots under the wing which are slightly distracting.

Can you add a bit more narrative as it does help the reader. Glad to see you have broken away from the sq format at last:D

Steve

Cheers for your comments and suggestions Steve. Did originally try a wider crop felt that the eye contact was being lost.

Haven't broken completely with the square format but here, with that wing angle I think this is the only crop that would work.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-24-2009, 11:36 AM
BTW, I think it needs to go into Avian section.;)

Cheers again Steve - thank you to the kindly mod who did this.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Tom, I like the vertical presentation and the diagonal line that the bird introduces into the image. I find the view of the top of the bird pleasing. I also like the eye contact. If I am not mistaken the bird appears to have a bit of a blue cast. It is most apparent to me on the back of the bird. To show you what I mean, attached is a repost with some color correction to remove the cast on the bird. Hopefully it still represents what you saw in the field. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Phil for your comments and edit - will look into that blue caste.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-24-2009, 11:40 AM
I like the strong diagonal composition in this image and the contrast between white and blue. Agree with Steve that the bird is a bit tight in the frame. Neat eye contact and good job on the exposure. Keep them coming :)

Thank you Juan for your comments. As I mentioned in my reply to Steve I felt with a wider crop the eye contact was being lost - will look at that again.

Tom

Jim Coda
12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Why was this moved from the avian forum to the wildlife forum? It needs to go back to the avian forum.

Jim Coda
www.jimcoda.com (http://www.jimcoda.com)