PDA

View Full Version : Lanner Falcon (HDR)

Morkel Erasmus
12-23-2009, 04:24 AM
I am almost leaving for the Cape, but couldn't resist one last post on BPN for 2009! Blooming addicted if you ask me...:)

This shot was created in September 2009 during a visit to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. This lanner falcon had caught a laughing dove shortly before we arrived at this waterhole, and was already tucking in.

The rising sun was behind the bird, which created interesting rim-lighting, but made for challenging shooting, especially since you are confined to your car window and the road ran parallel to the Eastern horizon. This shot was taken as the falcon ruffled its feathers.

Those who have been following the development of my processing style with wildlife will have noticed I am a fan of trying exposure blending and HDR as often as possible. This is one of the few avian shots I have processed in that manner.

I would really like to have your feedback here. I applied HDR in Photomatix by generating 3 exposures of this shot, and processing in the "Details Enhancer" algorithm.

Enjoy the holidays everyone!! See you in 2010...

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400mm L IS USM @ 320mm
f5.6 @ 1/640 SS @ ISO-500
Exp +0.3

Ken Watkins
12-23-2009, 05:35 AM
Great shot, lucky to find it standing still. In my somewhat limited experience trying to get it in flight is a nightmare.
Really nice lighting and intersting processing, I have enough problems with straightforward processing.

Look forward to seeing some more in 2010!

Harshad Barve
12-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Morkelbhai
Looks like you have mastered HDR techs, lovely lighting , pose and kill is added bonus
Looking forward to see more images and have a blast of time
TFS

David Fletcher
12-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Ditto Harshadbhai.. you look to have mastered HDR Morkelbhai. Congrats. Fine shot and looks well done.

Kiran Poonacha
12-23-2009, 09:56 AM
another lovely HDR stuff from you bhai, like the effect acheived...

Kim Rollins
12-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Very nice capture for sure. It is always fun to see the raptors in action be it hunting, swooping or feeding.

I detect a color cast (red) in the highlights of the image (hot red color channel of HL). Of course you as the photog must be the one who decides /if such a cast is desirable or undesirable/. Lighting of the time may certainly have been a factor. For your consideration here is a repost of the image with just a very little bit of adjustment for that red cast, some mid-tone adjustment and a little final sharpening added for size.

http://www.pbase.com/kwr_01/image/120520709.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
12-23-2009, 03:27 PM
thanks for the kind comments everyone! :):)

Kim - thanks for pointing out the red cast and doing some work to sort it out...that is however the beauty of early morning Kalahari light and I wanted to preserve that. ;)

Juan Aragonés
12-24-2009, 03:10 AM
I like it a lot Morkel and I would keep the original reddish cast in the image. The combination of blur and sharpness, the backlighting, the timming... I love everything in this image. Very well done and very well processed. Merry christmast to you too :)

Morkel Erasmus
12-24-2009, 03:13 AM
thanks a lot for the kind compliment Juan - it means a lot.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-24-2009, 08:15 AM
I think the backlight works really well her as it adds to the scene. Sharpness and eye contact add to it.

There are worse addictions than BPN. :)

Morkel Erasmus
12-24-2009, 09:38 AM
thanks Axel...

suppose there are :);)

Kim Rollins
12-24-2009, 12:45 PM
thanks for the kind comments everyone! :):)

Kim - thanks for pointing out the red cast and doing some work to sort it out...that is however the beauty of early morning Kalahari light and I wanted to preserve that. ;)

You are welcome I suspected it was there at least in part because of the light but I wasn't there to remember. Dang it about not being there too. :(
Nice Image as is!

Keep clicking.

paul leverington
12-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Egad Morkel--What kind of Christmas shot is this? I won't be able to eat meat for a week!!!!

Just kidden you bro!--hey fantastic capture--- and you are nailing down that HDR stuff pretty good. Merry Xmas to ya, and we don't have any more snow here right nowthan you probably don't right now:(. Here's lookin to the new year!

Paul

Morkel Erasmus
01-03-2010, 11:23 PM
thanks for the kind words Paul!

Mark Theriot
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Looks really nice! So you created 3 different exposures from 1 raw file - or did you have 3 distinct raws?

Mark

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
thanks Mark. 3 versions from 1 RAW file :)