PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Eggnog

Patti Edens
12-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Just for fun...

denise ippolito
12-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Hey Patti, Please share your workflow. :) I really like how you managed to get the head peeking out. Did you mask it back in? The colors are nice. Very different!

Paul Lagasi
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Really neat what you've done..I'm sure I've seen this before, wasn't caused by Egg Nog though...I think it was Rye Whiskey...

Patti Edens
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Patti, Please share your workflow. :) I really like how you managed to get the head peeking out. Did you mask it back in? The colors are nice. Very different!

Denise, Actually, it was so simple that I thought all would know what I did. It's just a polar coordinates thing. Nothing special to mask the head back in.

Here are the actual steps.
Cropped to perfect square using Rect. Marquee Tool
Ran Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates (PC) with Rectangular to Polar selected.
This resulted in a not so good match up of the ends and also those radial lines going out all around the edges, neither of which I liked. So I continued playing around to see what happened.
Did Image > Rotation > Flip Canvas Vertical
Ran PC again, this time Polar to Rectangular - This just split the turtle in two and was weird.
Ran Flip Vertical again.
Ran PC again with Rectangular to Polar.
Now it is matching much better at the edges and those radial lines are gone leaving a nice smooth color background.
Then I just selected the sphere, did Image > Rotation > Arbitrary and rotated it until I like the position of the turtle across the top.
While I had the sphere selected, I inverted the selection and used a gold Soft Stripes gradient going several directions in the background so that it wasn't so plain.
Lastly I blended in the area where the end matched up using Smudge Tool and Clone Tool.

Whew, I guess I did a lot more than I thought. It really didn't take much time at all to do. A lot more to type.

Jackie Schuknecht
12-23-2009, 11:05 AM
This is neat Patti, it looks like he is going to be sucked down into that vortex. Very creative.

denise ippolito
12-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Patti, Thanks so much for your workflow. I just want everyone that has been thinking about doing one of these to have the step by step. Much appreciated.:)

Mark Fuge
12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Nice image and application, Patti

Been awhile since we've seen this effect. Was a fun week a few months back.

Like the clarity of the subject's head being maintained.

Christopher Miller
12-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Great idea, Patti, and well-executed. I like it!

Indranil Sircar
12-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Interesting and nice abstract. Thanks for sharing the workflow. Very well executed.

Patti Edens
12-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks Denise, Jackie, Mark, Christopher and Indranil. Appreciate the looks and comments.

Really neat what you've done..I'm sure I've seen this before, wasn't caused by Egg Nog though...I think it was Rye Whiskey...
Thanks Paul, and I think you're right. :D

Cheryl Slechta
12-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Well done, Patti! It's a really neat image.