PDA

View Full Version : Female Roseate Skimmer

Don Lacy
12-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Here is another older image I reworked recently of a female Roseate Skimmer. Slightly different angle then most of my DF images and something I need to get back to again since most of my newer image are straight profiles

30D, 300 f/4 +1.4TC, 1/80 ay f/10, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, Flash -1 2/3, ISO200, RAW Tripod.

Colin Driscoll
12-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Nice shot Don. Interesting illusion to my eyes and I keep flipping from seeing it from underneath or on top. Is there a bit of an overall warm tint?

Don Lacy
12-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Is there a bit of an overall warm tint?
Image was made in the late afternoon light and I left the WB as recorded by the camera. I tend to prefer warmer images to begin with and is one of the reasons I kept this one even tho it needs a tad more DOF for the tail, also this is a pristine newly emerged DF with wonderful color that has not begun to fade.

Julie Kenward
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I did notice that the very end of the tail wasn't quite as sharp as the rest but I LOVE the angle and the presentation of the dragonfly here, Don. Wow, you have such an eye for these images! I can't decide if I like the one spectral highlight on the wing or not - I guess I could go either way on that.

I agree on keeping the yellow tones here - it really makes me think of summer and that beautiful golden light we won't be seeing for the next FOUR MONTHS :eek:. Oh well, winter is pretty too, right? RIGHT? :(

Don Lacy
12-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Oh well, winter is pretty too, right? RIGHT?
Jules I live in South Florida we dream of winter all summer long:D

Jerry van Dijk
12-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi Don, excellent work! Angle creates a great composition with the wings on the diagonal of the frame. Complimented by the diagonal of the perch. Excellent details and BG. Love the light. Too bad about the tail, but I didn't notice until Julie pointed it out.

Charles Wesley
12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Don,

This is a very solid image. Got to love the colors and composition.
Thanks for sharing...

Allen Sparks
12-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Beautiful image with nice details on the face. I'm wondering if increasing the f stop a bit would help with the getting the tail in focus.

Don Lacy
12-25-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm wondering if increasing the f stop a bit would help with the getting the tail in focus.
Image was made at f/10 and looking at the BG I could have gone to f/13 or f/16 and kept a nice OOF BG and gotten the tail in focus, when this image was I was still at the beginning of my learning curve with shooting dragons and made a rookie mistake:)