PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Plover and Rock

Aidan Briggs
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Inspired by Alan Murphy's recent Spotted Sandpiper set-up images, I decided to try something similar. I scoured the beach for interesting rocks and I found this one near the foraging area of a bunch of Semipalmated and Snowy Plovers (mostly juvies). All I had to do was set up and wait, eventually a couple of Snowy Plovers came over and investigated the rock.

Overcast day, fill flash at -1 1/3

50D, 100-400 at 400
1/250, f.9, ISO 320
Small crop

Danny J Brown
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi Aidan - Beautiful shot of a little plover. Low angle is sweet and the water just turns to bokeh in a very nice way. I'm not loving the rock as it appears to be vying for attention from the bird in this composition. Maybe if the little snowy was standing on the rock..........:)

Aidan Briggs
12-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks for stopping by Danny. I like the rock, but that is just my opinion. I have plenty of similar Snowy Plover shots with just the plovers, no rocks or other objects.

Ákos Lumnitzer
12-23-2009, 03:39 AM
I think the idea is pretty neat Aidan. I do feel the rock is a little large for the bird, but the idea is definitely there and worthwhile persevering with larger birds or smaller rocks? IMHO of course. :)

Bill Dix
12-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Aiden - I love the low angle. The snowy is beautifully captured, and so is the rock. But I agree that the two seem to fight one another for attention in the composition.

Kiran Poonacha
12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I thing taking off some from the top and would help, loved the feel here, Nice low angle and details..

Jim Fenton
12-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Aidan...

I like the high key approach and I like the rock a whole lot. Had you not placed it there, they likely would have saddled up next to it wherever it was anyway. So many times I see folks all to eager to remove objects which these birds are relating to in nature and personally, I think it makes things too darn sterile. Little shore birds tend to snuggle up to bigger things...rocks, clumps of seaweed etc. as it makes them feel comfortable and I suppose less obvious to predators as well.

The crop looks fine to me...perhaps the only thing I might have done differently would have been to clone out the little wave on the far right.

Aidan Briggs
12-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Jim I agree with you on everything except for maybe the wave. I am undecided, but I think it adds to the image. I also notice lots of small shorebirds hanging around rocks and other large objects.

Danny J Brown
12-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Its funny how different we all are - I almost commented on how much I liked the little wave.:) But I do agree with Jim that a lot of photos at BPN look far too sterile and I find when I post a sterile one I get more positive comments than usual, especially if the bokeh is exceptionally clean. I'm shooting for less sterile photos in 2010!!!!!!!!!

Aidan Briggs
12-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Good for you Danny! It's Always good to go for something differnt