PDA

View Full Version : Family Affair

VinceRossi
12-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Please note: Just before uploading this pic, I realized how bad it was "Quality Wise". Maybe I shouldn't have posted it. But I wanted to post it because for me it is a rare shot. Lets consider it just for "SHOW AND TELL"

I have shown it and you guys can tell me verything that is wrong with it.:D

I captured these guys at Forsythe Reserve just across from Atlantic city. Good place to get some photos. BUT BUT BUT you need a gallon of bug spray to survive. Real bad situation. I know a lot of people that don't go there just because of the negative bug problem.

I realize the picture is out of focus but like I said the bugs were a distraction. matter of fact, so much so I didn't have the camera set up on the correct mode. I believe it was set on Auto Mode 3 which I believe is Portrait. I did use a mono pod but that didn't seem to matter much.

Raw
Portrait Mode ?
F 7.1
1/800
ISO 200
Mono Pod
Metering = Pattern
Exp= 0

I listed the type of metering I used. What are some of the additonal camera settings other people use. Such as meeting, focus, white balance etc.

Thanks Vince

VinceRossi
12-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I think this one is a little better and should have posted it.
Portrait?
1/1600
F6.3
ISO 400
300 mm
Exp=0

Anita Rakestraw
12-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Second post is much better all the way around, Vince! It's got much better focus, a better angle, better exposure, and the colors are nicer; also a closer view. Nice find!!

Lance Peters
12-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi Vince - second one is much better - difficult with 3 birds when it comes to head angles, need three good ones ideally.
Looks like you had some pretty harsh light to deal with here - best when possible to get the sun at your back,provides even illumination to your subject and prevents shadows. There does seem to be a loss of fine detail - did you use noise reduction on the entire image :) ??

Gus Cobos
12-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Hi Vince,
The second composition is much better, the problem here was the harsh lighting coming at an angle, thus casting shadows on your subjects...The head angles are off, all three should have the same head angle looking in the same direction...they also appear to be a tad on the soft side...just keep them coming...:):cool:

Alfred Forns
12-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi Vince .... . remember only one image per post, can re post the original with changes.

Agree on the second being the best, the first has some sever chromatic aberration. I like the level view of the second, difficult for an osprey nest. Would try keeping the lens on the nest and waiting for the right head angle ...for all .. one difficult task but possible !!!

With these nest I like setting up for flight as the birds bring food to the youngsters !!! Lots of opportunities !!!

Linda Dulak
12-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Vince: I think I know that nest. That's the skyline of AC in the background, isn't it?

Definitely like the second image better. It's difficult to get the perfect sun angle because of direction of the road from which you can shoot at Forsythe. It's best to try to shoot when there are thin clouds so its bright but you have soft light.

Thanks for showing.

Linda

Jeff Cashdollar
12-24-2009, 08:32 PM
There is good documentation in the Ed Forum for beginners, let me review some of the threads and recommend a quick read or two. I assume you have heard about APBII by Author Morris. It contains the basics and that's what you need to study (I review it every month). Moreover, I could ask you about the center point of focus and how did you meter but until you understand the ABC's of field and exposure techniques it will not have the same impact.

Not sure about portrait mode, do you have Aperture, Shutter Priority or Manual modes?

My suggestions:

1. Read in Ed Forum "My Pictures Don't Look Like That" by Artie Morris.

2. Purchase APBII.

3. Continue to practice and post often.

4. Use tripod when possible and shot in morning/evening soft when possible.

5. Keep shutter fast and focus on the eye, ensure light is on the birds face/eye and it is even with the shutter.

Second post is an improvement, exposure techs look good.

Talk to you soon, keep em coming.

J$