PDA

View Full Version : Cold and Lazy Afternoon ~ Red Morph Screech Owl

Jim Fenton
12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
This little beauty and I are becoming buddies as there appears to be nothing else in the area to photograph so far this fall. No snowy owls, no short eared owls, no rough legged hawks, harriers, eagles, you name it...I have never seen it this barren.

The few times I've been here when the bird is visible, it's either stark sunrise and it's eyes are closed or it's late in the day with the sun behind the tree...and it's eyes are still closed.

At least I got to see it yawn today :)

There is one tiny spot between some branches within which I can get a clean view. No way that I can figure out to use any flash so I'll live with what I can get out of the D300s for higher ISO.

Iwould have like further DOF, but I was aleready pushing it shooting at 1/50 and F8

Yes, the angle is steep but it's the best I can get.

Lastlly...I had to save this at a quality of 36 to meet the size requirements?

Nikon D300s, 500 VR, TC14EII, ISO 1600, F8, 1/50 (beanbag) VR on, CW metering at -.3 EV

Nancy A Elwood
12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Well even after all you said about it, I would still be very proud of it in my files!! Your patience paid off in spades!

Doug Brown
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Nothing wrong with a nice yawn! Looks good for the lighting conditions described. A fringe benefit of busy BGs is that they mask noise quite well. I like the placement of the bird in the center of the frame.

Aidan Briggs
12-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Because this image has so mush detail (bark) it has to be compressed more to fit the size requirements. Nice yawn, soft light, and exposure.

Jason G. Harrison
12-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I really like this shot Jim. A not so easy to find subject, at least in my opinion. I know of one just about in the same situation as you. Eyes are almost always closed. I see your back in action again with the D300s...and this image at ISO 1600 looks clean. I like the comp and the yawning pose. TFS.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I really like the yawn and you manage to get good detail inside the beak too, I also like how the owl fit nicely with the hole of the tree, make this look like a frame within frame.

ericbowles
12-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Jim - Very nicely done - I like your little friend. The yawn makes the image interesting.

Kiran Poonacha
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Loved the yawing pose, nice details, good setting here..

Raymond Barlow
12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Nice shot Jim, congrats on the yawn!, interesting composition and crop., I would tend to move the birds face off center if you have the room.

Steve Canuel
12-24-2009, 04:21 PM
I really like this one. Great subject, nice pose. I find the surrounding bark a little too contrasty though and would smooth it out just a tiny bit.

paul leverington
12-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Nothing wrong with this one Jim. Classic looking and full of character. I'd be pretty happy to have something like this to shoot. This red version of the screech is quite beautiful, and less often seen? You'll get one with his eyes open I'm sure! But the yawn works great too. This would make a nice print to hang in a childs bedroom over their bed.:)

Paul