12-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Early morning in the Alabama Hills.

50D, ISO 400

jn

Kim Rollins
12-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Jim

Nice capture.

Do you know why they have that name? I am asking since they are in CA.

Dave Mills
12-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi Jim, Good exposure along with an effective pano crop. What makes these images stand out is dramatic lighting which gives the image impact and interest.The image is a bit flat and I suggest you shoot either very early or late in the day to get that lighting....

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey Jim,
I'm with Dave on this one.....while the rock line is pleasing enough a bit more dramatic light would make this stand out even more. I do like the choice of pano presentation also.....just wish the light was a bit better.

Robert Amoruso
12-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I am going the other way and saying I like the light and the dark, but not overly abundant deep shadows. What I thing is more contrast and saturation. I did local contrast enhancement (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434) and repost. Saturation boost occured from the download, LCE and upload, but I like it.

Kim Rollins
12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I like what you have done with that Robert and I will check out the links you have porvided too.

Jim Neely
12-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Robert. Just got the APTATs II CD and I'm looking forward to learning to use the techniques.

jn

Robert Amoruso
12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Robert. Just got the APTATs II CD and I'm looking forward to learning to use the techniques.

jn

Jim,

I think you are getting me confused with Robert O'Toole. APTATs is his. The link I gave you are to techniques I use.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Nice capture and I like Roberts repost

Jeffrey Sipress
01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree with Dave. You need exciting light to create dramatic images here. Or else they are boring. Sorry!

I've been visiting and seeking that magic light the A hills for thirty years. Many are on my site.

The Alabama Hills are named after the USS Alabama, an old battleship with some historical significance that I can't recall at the moment.