PDA

View Full Version : An Era Past

Kim Rollins
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.pbase.com/kwr_01/image/119756449.jpg

Panasonic Model DMC-L1 Focal Length 11 mm (11-22mm Zuiko) Exposure Time 1/1000 sec
Aperture f/9 ISO Equivalent 400
Metering Mode matrix (5) Exposure Program manual (1)

Taken this winter after some freezing weather and snow. I went by to specifically photograph this scene with the old dredge in this light. The image was taken as I experimented for the first time with the Panasonic DMC-L1 Camera but with Olympus Zuiko lenses.

The image was processed with LR2 complimented with CS4.

You may read a bit of the history here -
http://www.historicsumpter.com/sumpter-oregon-dredge-park.html

Critique alway desired and encouraged.

Dave Mills
12-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi Kim, Interesting subject along with even lighting. I would suggest a few things. Including the fence in the foreground is distracting. I would have shot this in front of the fence and included some of the grasses. I would
crop out about half the sky and would have moved more to the right to exclude the tree on the left...(if possible)

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi Kim,
Very interesting subject and some VG advise from Dave. Becuae the light was from behind/left.....it has lost a bit of it's impact. Not sure if lack of tack shapness is because of f9 but do keep this in mind for the future.
this is a very exciting photographic subject and definitely worth exploring with some of Dave's suggestions if possible!

Kim Rollins
12-28-2009, 04:29 AM
Dave and Roman

I am not sure that I could move to the right but upon my return I will take a look, seems I remember obstructions there (to my right). To shoot in front of the fence and keep the whole machine in frame may not be possible with 11mm and that is as wide as I have (I had shot once before and failed to have it all in frame and received critique advising to shoot again so...)
I will look closer at cropping some of the sky out.

Thank you both for you replies and suggestions too.

John Ippolito
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Kim, I agree with Roman and Dave on the fence in FG. I really like the leaden look to the sky, and the subject has a lot of potential with texture and character. If you can't get it all in by moving in front of the fence, maybe you could stitch a few images together in a pano.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Cool subject and worth more exploring