PDA

View Full Version : BPN Year Deux - Kudos, Comments or Suggestions

Fabs Forns
12-21-2009, 11:48 PM
As we approach our second anniversary on Jan 1st, we would like to hear from our members, what we have done for you, what you'd like to see us do that we don't, and any comments that would help improve your BPN experience.

Harshad Barve
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi
After joining BPN in may 2009 , I was amazed to see quality of images and C & C offered. My dear friend Sabaysachi helped me lot here and I must say , BPN has helped me tons in improving lot. I learned lot here about Digital basics , camera settings and post processing. Super critiques in gentle way was very helpful and appreciation for participation felt me like home here. I learned lot in ETL, OOTB and I roam across the globe in Travel & cityscapes and got so many friends here.

My only wish is to have a corner where people can post their trip repots:)

I thanks all publishers for such a wonderfur forum

Harshad

James Shadle
12-22-2009, 01:09 AM
My only wish is to have a corner where people can post their trip repots:)

Harshad[/quote]

Harshad,

There will be a place to post trip reports with images, on day one of year three:).

James

Harshad Barve
12-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I would love to become first poster there , Thanks a ton for this :)

Ken Watkins
12-22-2009, 04:09 AM
"Harshad,

There will be a place to post trip reports with images, on day one of year three:).

James"

Whoopee!

I recently suggested this under the South Africa Forum, hopefully this will include mainly the photographic opportunites and not to much comment on accomodation and food!

c.w. moynihan
12-22-2009, 07:29 AM
For the discussion forums, I think it would be better when someone responds to a post, that the post goes back to the top of the forum topic list. As it is now, the post remains in the origional position down on the list (Not sure if this is by design or not). Most forums I visit, photo or not work this way. I find it somewhat inconvenient having to scroll down the list to see a recent response to a thread. Happy Holidays all and keep up the good work !

Bob Decker
12-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't have much in the way of suggestions but I would like to take the opportunity to say thank-you for this wonderful resource. Most of the avian and wildlife fourms I've visited over the lasst 4 years are anything but welcoming, nurturing and helpful to the novice. On other forums it's rare to even draw a comment if you're not one of the "regulars" and any critiques are typically limited to borish "at-a-boys." BPN is refreshing, pleasant and much appreciated. Thanks so much.

For a suggestion, maybe a "sticky" at the top of the regional forums specifying what states are included in each. The Southeast area seems predominately Florida. As Florida is a very strong state for avian photography I have seen it seperated into its own region elsewhere.

That's all I've got.

Tom Wilberding
12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Great site, thanks to all who created this site and manage it! My only suggestion is to locate "How to post an image" front and center, very clearly, maybe in the top row of tabs. I had to really dig to find these instructions, finally, under Avian, instructions by James Shadle. I am obviously a newcomer; maybe I was a bit blind in finding out how to post an image.
Thanks,
Tom

William Malacarne
12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
For the discussion forums, I think it would be better when someone responds to a post, that the post goes back to the top of the forum topic list. As it is now, the post remains in the origional position down on the list (Not sure if this is by design or not). Most forums I visit, photo or not work this way. I find it somewhat inconvenient having to scroll down the list to see a recent response to a thread. Happy Holidays all and keep up the good work !

There already is a way to do it...it is in the CP area. I am in a hurry to leave and will be back in a few hours, if you don't find it I will look it up and tell you.

Bill

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I hang out on many forums but post only here as this is where I know I can count on good feedback. What I like most about it? No 'great shot' comments. That is what makes this one different and better. I really appreciate all the moderators and everyone else who take the time to chip in with honest critiques.

I started doing bird photography in March of 2009 and the improvements that I have seen in my work could not have come without BPN. An awesome place to say the least.

One thing I'd like more people to do is contribute to the 'introduce yourself' sticky thread in the 'freinds, family & more' forum. And go beyond the 'introduce yourself' and post new threads there. It really helps in building the community feel.

One question/suggestion for the publishers.... can the thumbnails be increased in size? I have seen lot of good photos that dont look good in small thumbnails and hence don't get a lot of hits.

Thx everyone

Roger Clark
12-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I too have found BPN a great resource. I hope to post more images in the future--work was just too busy this last year. I have traveled more this year than any year in my life, from Africa, India, multiple trips to Europe and all over the US--but little time to process my images. Ahhhh-something for retirement.

I do like to travel, and read about places to go. So I wonder what people think about reducing the number of travel forums. Many of them have few posts, so I often don't notice if there is something new. I think I would probably read more if there were fewer forums to go into. E.g., some suggestions on travel:

US midW, NW, SW, Calif into one: US west.
maybe combine US NE, mid, Se into one?
the A's into one: Australia, NZ, Asia, Antarctica, Africa
Spain should be with Europe.
Canada+Mexico+S America?

If posts pickup in one area then perhaps it could be split out.

Roger

William Malacarne
12-22-2009, 02:01 PM
To have newest posts appear first.

Go>User CP at top of page>scroll down to Edit Options in left colum>scroll down to Thread Display Options and select Linear-Newest First in drop down menu> then scroll down to bottom of page and Save Changes.

HTH
Bill

Ian McHenry
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Fabs for this opportunity, and my compliments to Artie,all publishers and moderators for their great work during the year keeping up with increased membership.
I would like to see a critique forum for a series of images of a particular subject which were all taken same place.
For landscapes a longer timeframe could be allowed to show differences in the effects of the light at differerent times of the day.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Mike Lentz
12-22-2009, 02:46 PM
I have made some good friends off this site and am thankful for that as well as the invaluable tips I've learned from some of you.
Its been a busy year for me spending more time with my two young children vs computer time.
I hope to be more of a contributor again down the road. :)

Dan Brown
12-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Kudos, kudos, kudos!! BPN has really opened up the digital photography world to me! I've learned sooooo much here and made some very nice acquaintances along the way! Looking forward to more of the same to come! Thanks very much to all the owners, moderators and members!
Happy and Safe Holidays to all

Anita Rakestraw
12-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Congratulations and a huge thanks to all who put this site together and labor to make it work!! It's a great place to hang out; I've learned a tremendous amount from participating here. The opportunity to mix with accomplished nature photogs from all over the world who are so willing to share is a treasured gift. I love the emphasis on learning/teaching - the educational resources are fantastic! There is room for a wide range of creativity and fun as well. This site has it all for me, no need to look elsewhere. :)

Ed Cordes
12-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Congratulations on the second birthday! I have found BPN to be fantastic. It's no secret that many of us participate in other forums. However, BPN has a real family atmosphere with excellent critiques. I wish I had time to post more images, but that's the way it goes in a busy life.

As far as suggestions go, I agree with Capt Jim RE trip report forum. I also like it when a new comment places the thread at the top of the list. I do not think this is appropriate for image postings - just discussion forums.

Overall BPN is one of the best bargains in photography. Keep up the good work; and THANK YOU

Christopher Miller
12-22-2009, 07:53 PM
I can't say enough how wonderful BPN is! :) The inspiration and honest feedback that I have received here has been invaluable.

As far as suggestions go, I would like to see more people participating in the desaturated forum because I've noticed that only a couple of people regularly post and comment in that forum.

Big thank you to everyone here at BPN, and keep up the good work!!!

arash_hazeghi
12-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Hi Fabs,
I have been enjoying the critique and advice I have received on my photos, sometimes you can learn just by looking at other members' work. The only thing that I wish to see is something like a local or regional club so users from the same geographical area (not just state) can plan to get together, go shooting, share sighting etc.

Best