PDA

View Full Version : Azaleas With A Soft Touch

Charles Wesley
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I was trying earlier this fall to catch a softer look of an azalea plant due to windy conditions. Concentrated on using color and contrast more. Ended with a dead center approach.

Canon EOS-1D, EF 100- 400 mm. f/4.5- 5.6 IS and Bogen tripod.

PS/CS4
Neat Image
Topaz Adjust
FocalBlade

Julie Kenward
12-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Charlie, I think the "dead center" approach works here because of those beautiful leaves that draw your eyes out to the corners of the frame. Lovely saturation of the pinks in this and a very nice soft, yet in focus, feel.

My only criticism would be that the top flower is hitting the edge of the frame and only by a very small bit. I tend to either give them a little room at the top or I crop in tight on all sides so the flower doesn't feel cramped in the frame.

All these pink floral images are making me miss spring!!!

Mike Moats
12-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey Charlie, the first thing that hit me when I opened this was what Jules mentioned the top pf the flowers edge touching the top of the frame. The rest looks great.:)

Ramesh Adkoli
12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Very nice image, Charlie. A great example for positioning the main subject in the center. Lovely colors too. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Anita Bower
12-23-2009, 06:20 AM
I have found Azeleas challenging to photograph. I like what you did here. Having the anthers in the central flower sharp makes the soft parts of the image work for me as it provides a focal anchor point. I might try to darken the light spot on the left and lighten the dark spot just above it. Lovely!!

Don Lacy
12-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi Charlie, lovely image it has a nice soft feel about it and the comp is perfect for the subject, just need a bit of space at the top.

denise ippolito
12-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Charles, I like the comp. and the soft touch you've achieved here. Beautifully done. A very Happy Holiday to you and your family.:)

Charles Wesley
12-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. Denise hope you have a wonderful Holiday also.
Everyone please stay safe. Looking forward to the new year...