PDA

View Full Version : Pafuri Fever Tree Forest

Morkel Erasmus
12-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Finding time for a quick post here in "Landscapes" before I'm off to the Cape...where I'll hopefully shoot a lot more of them 'scapes! :)

We recently visited the far north of the Greater Kruger Transfrontier Park, and I have never seen the region so lush and green. What usually is a dry region with acres of mopani shrub was transformed into green fields of life.

In the farthest north-eastern corner of the Park there is a region called "Pafuri", where the Levubhu and Limpopo rivers confluence, which has always been magical. Lush riverine forests and ancient giant trees make for an unforgettable scenic drive.

This is a 3-exposure HDR created from three bracketed shots taken from the car window (not allowed to leave your vehicle at this point). Processed in Photomatix and CS3.

The time of day was around noon, but the forest canopy made the light easier to handle. I decided to use multiple exposures due to the dynamic range and intermittent shadows in the scene. Unfortunately the masses of fine detail in this photo forced me to save at 50% quality. :(

Comments welcome as always...

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS
f8.0 @ ISO-200
Bracketed {-1.67; -0.67; 0.33}

Dave Mills
12-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Morkel, IMO you handled the image very well. The hdr helped control the lighting where the bright areas are muted.The offset road acting as a leading line is very effective. The framing of the image is well thought out also.

Robert Amoruso
12-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I share Dave's thoughts on the composition.

I would tone down the cyan sky as that does not look natural and I feel the image as a whole is over sharpened.

Elmar Venter
12-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Morkel, you did a great job with the composition, it really gives a sense of being there. I would remove the white spot about 1/3 into the road.

Morkel Erasmus
12-21-2009, 03:12 PM
thanks for the kind comments Dave, Robert & Elmar...

here is a softer version with the cyan sky toned down. I left the white pebble in the road...

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Morkel,
Nice job implementing the suggestions!!! Well done!

Robert Amoruso
12-21-2009, 10:37 PM
New version looks good.

Morkel Erasmus
12-22-2009, 12:13 AM
thanks Roman & Robert!

Betsie Storm
12-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi Morkel, I like this "tree scape", the HDR really complimented the scene. Sitting in the Punda campsite catching up with BPN at the moment, going to Pafuri area tomorrow, will check this scene out:)

Morkel Erasmus
01-03-2010, 11:26 PM
thanks Betsie! hope your trip was amazing!