PDA

View Full Version : Pretty with my black cap

Dan Busby
12-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Although I have dozens of shots of these Black-capped Chickadees in my collection I never stop trying to get a better one. For some reason they seem to be more difficult than you would expect :). Just have to keep at it ......

About 50% crop, cloned out a dark blurr (from tree trunk) in the upper left corner, sharpened slightly.

Canon 40D, Canon 500F4
AP, Pattern Metering, ISO 400, F5.6, 1/332

All C&C welcome.

Doug Brown
12-20-2009, 06:32 PM
I love these birds; they sure can be tough subjects! A bit more sharpening, a head turn towards you, and a smaller perch would be on my wish list for this image.

Kim Rollins
12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Good to see this little fellow. We have some showing up now but I have not imaged them this year yet.

Doug's wish list seemed reasonable. Keep clicking.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Good-looking chickadee! I like the eye contact and BG. Adding to Doug's suggestions, I might try to make the BG in the upper left look like the rest and wish for wider DOF. The good thing is, they show up often but that doesn't make it necessarily easier to photograph them. :)

Bill Dix
12-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Dan - I agree these are tough little guys to capture well. You've managed to get a unique perspective on this one, with a great look. Some good items on the wish list noted above.

Randy Stout
12-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Dan:

You have captured him well, do agree with thoughts above.

I think part of the difficulty is that a still photo can't quite capture all the action/activity that these guys are so noted for, which forms an essential part of their personality.

But, we keep trying!

Randy

John Chardine
12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I like it Dan. Love the BG, eye contact and beautiful soft light. I would have like to see the feet in focus. I'm ok with the HA although as mentioned a slight turn towards you would have been optimal.

Greg Schneider
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Dan, really nice capture of this cute bird. I agree that a bit more DOF would be nice.

Greetings from a fellow Dundasian.