PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Goose

Mark Theriot
12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
I know the background is too busy (although I kinda like it!) but this is one of first chances I've had to basically "fill the view finder". I did crop just a little on top as it looked worse with just the very tip of the wing clipped.

Interested in all comments.

1/1,000 at F18 (I wasn't expecting the opportunity) 400mm, +.3EV, 1600 ISO. Raw processed in Aperture, noise reduction with Nik Define and the rest (color, definition, levels, etc) with Aperture.

Thanks for looking!
Mark

Caspar Davis
12-20-2009, 09:54 PM
I like it, and it's hard to get an original shot of these over-abundant fellows. The background is noisy, but I like it too. The ony thing that bothers me is the lack of space ahead of the bird. It feels a little cramped to me.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I love the Canada Species, nice action shot.

Couple of things get my attention, first clipping the body. Try and position for full body or get the second guy if possible. I might have swapped aperture for shutter speed, the f/18 brings the BG in to play (BLHC a little busy- IMO) and retards the shutter speed that might help capturing more fine detail - nice picture.

Looking good, keep em coming.

Alfred Forns
12-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Agree with comments and suggestions !!!

When we say fill the frame usually means having the subject about 80% in frame, don't need to go as much. Did well in the cropping if it looked clipped.. for example the feet look clipped !! I'm sure you will have many more opportunities !!! .. btw this one is sharp and well exposed !!!

David Stephens
12-20-2009, 10:50 PM
"Canada" goose. ;)

Lance Peters
12-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi Mark - great advice from AL, Generally you dont want body parts clipped and as Jeff mentioned more likely to be at f8 or so in this circumstance.
Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
12-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Hi Mark,
The first thing that catches my eye are the cut body parts of your subject and the over powering fill of the frame...he has no room to fly...agree with Mr. Forns on the 70 to 80 percent fill in frame...you do have good details, but for your next one make him a tad smaller with more flight space...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Mark Theriot
12-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks David, "my bad"! ;)

Ok, we're in complete agreement here. I was shooting a batch of geese on the ice and this fellow came out of nowhere. If my reactions were better, I would have switched to my preset which is F5.6 @ 2000.

I had a 400 prime and didn't have time to backup. It was in the reject pile but I wanted to see if it could be saved. I wonder if a different partial crop would do anything? Good point on the clipped feet Al it didn't bother me as much as the tip of the wing but it bothers me now! :D

Thanks,
Mark

Alfred Forns
12-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Mark One of the reasons I use the 100-400 is the flexibility offered, do think the 400 straight is a faster focusing and probably slightly sharper but overall I come up with more keepers .. this is a great example !!!