PDA

View Full Version : If only he Was To the right a Little

VinceRossi
12-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I took pic back in July. I think if my heading was true it might be a little better.

Rapid Shoot
1/2000
Iso 200
Exp=0
Adjusted with basic PS

Lance Peters
12-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Vince - exposure looks good, no whites that are over. Like the tech settings, F5.6 gives you the BG BLUR.
Don't want to overwhelm you, so I will give you the two things that I think would help improve here...

1. Head Angle - the birds head is angled away from the camera a bit of a turn towards you is normally better - Gazing off into the distance like you have here is sometimes OK as well depending and whats out there in the direction he is looking.

2. Reflection - once again generally speaking unless a reflection is really strong (Clear, Sharp, no waves messing it up) its better to crop it out and bring the focus entirely onto your subject.

Keep em coming - and dont hesitate to comment on other peoples post - just say what you like - dont like about it - best way to learn.

Anita Rakestraw
12-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi, Vince. To me, he is in a good placement in the frame; if he were further right, he'd be in the middle, which isn't usually the best location. Personally, I like the reflection, but have to admit it draws my eye from the main subject. Agree with the head angle. The deep blue water is lovely. I'd crop just a little off the bottom.

Gus Cobos
12-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Vince,
A nice capture indeed...agree with Mr. Peters' sound advice and techs. The bird is placed just right in frame, no need for moving him...keep them coming...:cool:

David Thomasson
12-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I agree with Gus and Anita that the placement in the frame is fine. Also agree with Lance that it's generally better to crop
out "broken" reflections. But in this case, I like the squiggly reflection; I think it gives the image a nice painterly touch.
I think that element would stand out better and also bring more attention to the subject if you added a gradient to the
bottom to darken the the water -- but not the reflection. Sorta like this (animated gif) ...

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/328/reflect.gif

Alfred Forns
12-20-2009, 10:13 PM
With David's repost it looks mighty fine !!! ... great comments !!

VinceRossi
12-21-2009, 10:53 AM
How DID you do that gif. I initially thought there was something wrong with my screen. Couldn't figure out why it was changing colors. Thanks. LOL

David Thomasson
12-21-2009, 11:32 AM
How DID you do that gif. I initially thought there was something wrong with my screen. Couldn't figure out why it was changing colors. Thanks. LOL

You stack the layers that you want to animate (two in this case -- before and after) and then use the Animation panel (Window > Animation). There are many free tutorials that walk you through the steps. Check the Photoshop help files or just search on the Internet.