PDA

View Full Version : Not your normal DF image

Don Lacy
12-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I made this image of a Blue Dasher a couple of years ago and it has been sitting in my files waiting for me to figure out how to process it. When I made the image I was just learning digital and didn't know enough about PS to create the image I envision when I pressed the shutter. While it might not be a great image I do like the translucent abdomen and the rimlighting effect.

20D ( told you it was a old image:)) 300 f/4 +1.4TC, 1/205 at f/5.6, aperture Priority -1 3/4, RAW, ISO 400, Cropped and some cloning.

Ed Cordes
12-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Don, I really like the overall effect. The rim lighting and translucence of the wings and abdomen are very unusual and nicely done. I do wish the head were just a little more obvious - at least on my monitor.

Jerry van Dijk
12-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Hi Don, I think you did very well under the difficult light circumstances. Great details on the body and the completely dark background fits the image very well. Agree with Ed on the head and would consider cropping from the top.
Nice work!

Ed Vatza
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Not your normal at all. I really like the translucency that just radiates with the d-fly. Agree about the head but its not that bad. Overall very nice work to my eye.

Julie Kenward
12-21-2009, 07:57 PM
This is NOT your typical dragonfly image...even for you, Don! I do like it..I think it would be stronger if there wasn't such a large black area in front of the head and such a bright spot directly behind it - but the backlighting on this and the situation you created the image under is incredible.

Mike Moats
12-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Hey Don, very cool dramtic look. It's nice to see different looking images like this. :)