PDA

View Full Version : Reservoir Division

Dave Blinder
12-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Round Valley Reservoir, Lebanon, NJ
Dec 2009

This trail on top of a dam divides the reservoir into 2 sections. Taken in later afternoon.

I found processing the sky especially challenging because of mixed lighting. I used the recovery slider to remove some of the whites from the sky. Processed in Photomatix, 3 exposures from a single RAW, finalized in photoshop. I increased saturation overall, but decreased cyans to make the sky less "electric".

All comments and critiques appreciated.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/4193845371_c68526422d_o.jpg

Canon 40D, Canon 10-22mm EF lens, UV filter, handheld, AV mode, +2/3s EC

F/13, 10mm, 1/100s, ISO 250

Roman Kurywczak
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Dave,
It appears this needs a bit of CW rotation....use the left horizon to judge. Maybe it's an artifact of the HDR blending but you are getting a color shift near the brightest area. I'm thinking that moving in either direction to take the road a bit off center and eliminating the brighter area on the right sky would help strengthen this overall compositionally. Let's see what the others chime in.

Dave Mills
12-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Dave, agree about the cw rotation and the image having a color shift. After I looked I'm not sure if I like the idea about removing parts of the road in order to get rid of the brighter area. I would prefer to see it done in post processing since I like the composition...

Dave Blinder
12-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys, I think the color shift is a product of HDR and also the recovery slider introduced some wacky artifacts. I did use the healing tool to lessen the color shift already, but I will have another go at it.

Since you both agree the brighter area should go... what's the best approach there? Selection/masking via lasso tool and maybe bucketing in the tones from the opposite side? It's going to be tricky to nail the fine transitions with the tree branches...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Very nice comp, to bad no fall colors

Roman Kurywczak
12-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Dave,
No real easy way in PP'ing......1st pull back on the cyan although it will take a bit of work to get the whites much closer. #1 reason I try to get it right in 1 exposure in the field!