PDA

View Full Version : Glorious mud!

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Whilst waiting for one of the bush planes to come in to land, a family of Warthogs decided to have early afternoon tea on the landing strip, not ideal! Therefore, using the jeep we herded them off the strip into the tall grass, however they persisted in coming back until we persuaded them to play in the mud pool close by. The shot was taken from under the jeep, but sadly a slight movement or camera noise spooked this male, taking off a great speed. Would liked to have had a bit more room on the rhs:(

Not sure if the B&W version would be better?

Steve

MKIII 70-200 f/2.8 1/4000 f/5.6 ISO 400 hand held
(under a jeep is not recommended unless you are sure of your surroundings):D

Robert Amoruso
12-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Steve, I think the high-contrast here helps to increase the graphic quality of the mud here.

If possible, a really tight image of the Warthog would have produced a highly graphic look.

Alfred Forns
12-19-2009, 10:37 AM
One strange looking animal Steve !!! Must have been fun herding them around !! .... would take a little from the bottom and will still have room for the virtual feet !!! Love it !!!

Morkel Erasmus
12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
they can be quite fun. I like the motion and agree with a tighter crop - the B&W might just take this to another level...

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi guys, not to sure how far to go on this? The quality might also have suffered as I am away at the moment and had to resize from the posted version which is not ideal!:)

Steve

peter delaney
12-19-2009, 03:18 PM
warthogs tend to get overlooked , so nice to see an image of them...

the colour version I would suggest a slight crop off top to loose the green strip...
l like the B@w coversion but out of the two prefer the colour shot.
peter

Alfred Forns
12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Looks good Steve ... I also Like Peters Idea !!! .. btw prefer the color version but just personal choice

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone, always good to get a different POV.

Steve

Ed Cordes
12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I like the color version, but would crop the bottom up to where the extra blurred FG disappears.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-20-2009, 02:39 AM
Steve,
I normally do a lot of black and white compositions. However, in this case I would go with the colour. The colour of the warthog and the strip below appear to be in black and white. So a slight touch of green looks nice. Agree about cropping a bit from the bottom as well as slightly from the top.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
12-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Steve,

It is not often that you get an interesting image of a Warthog, this definitely falls into this category.

I prefer the colour version but think a crop from the bottom would help.

Marc Mol
12-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Prefer the first posting Steve, the high contrast and splashing mud really enhancing this image.
Agree with others that a crop from the bottom would further improve this.
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
12-20-2009, 09:30 AM
wanted to see the B&W but colour does look better...

DanWalters
12-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I prefer the color version. Nice details and I like the mud splashing around the subject.

Harshad Barve
12-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Steve
I am amazed to see variety of mamals you have in your kitty , New day and new mamal from Steve ;)

Another lovely image and I liked repost more
TFS

Steve Canuel
12-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Another vote for color and a little off the bottom. Super crisp, clear shot. Flying mud gives it a sense of action.