PDA

View Full Version : Kingfisher with food

Ofer Levy
12-19-2009, 07:55 AM
1D Mark II, Canon 500 f4, stacked x1.4 + x2 converters, 1/250, f13, iso 400, tripod, full Wimberley, hide

Got this in Israel when I went there to visit my family about three years ago. I wanted to get a head shot of this White-breasted Kingfisher with food but couldn't get close enough to get it with the x2 coverter only. Since I don't like cropping much I decided to use the stacked converters. Looking back I am not sure it was such a great idea as focusing is not easy with the stacked converters and I could have easily missed this opportunity but I guess luck is an important factor in bird photography....;)

About 90% of full frame

Joe Senzatimore
12-19-2009, 08:10 AM
You couldn't have done any better. A very tough bird to shoot and to get a head shot like this is fantastic. Great comp,exposure and impact. And it is tack sharp. A killer image.

Mike Tracy
12-19-2009, 08:40 AM
About as good as it gets. I like the comp and considering the stacked TC's sharpness appears to be more than acceptable. Not being familiar with this bird I was wondering if adding a few points to the blacks on the wing would be closer to real life. The position of the locust in his mouth is perfect. The area where the one antennae that seems to fade out and then reappears could probably be eliminated if you are inclined to do that.

Ofer Levy
12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
About as good as it gets. I like the comp and considering the stacked TC's sharpness appears to be more than acceptable. Not being familiar with this bird I was wondering if adding a few points to the blacks on the wing would be closer to real life. The position of the locust in his mouth is perfect. The area where the one antennae that seems to fade out and then reappears could probably be eliminated if you are inclined to do that.

Thanks for your comments guys!
Mike, I see what you mean regarding the oof antenna and I guess I should clone it out. Thanks! ;)
As to the blacks on the wing - I don't really see the need to selectively manipulate it.

Jim Crosswell
12-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Excellent close-up Ofer! I like the detail in this dinner shot and that you can even see the grasshoppers eye. I too would be inclined to remove the antenna where it reappears above the head as well.

scott benson
12-19-2009, 08:50 AM
stunning shot, not really alot i can add to above comments.

Malcolm Benn
12-19-2009, 08:51 AM
fantastic shot, love the detail, clarity and subtle colour tones

Ofer Levy
12-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Here is a repost without the oof part of the antenna - thanks!

Grace Scalzo
12-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Stunning image, Ofer.

Raymond Barlow
12-19-2009, 11:41 AM
pretty amazing image Ofer, looks as good as a 300 2.8 would do from 10 feet.

Danny J Brown
12-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Awesome close-up, Ofer. I thought it kind of silly to mess with the hopper's antenna but it actually does look better in the repost. These BPNrs are breaking me down.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Pretty cool capture, eye contact and BG. Aren't they supposed to eat fish? :) I wish for a tad more head turn toward you and might tone down the sheen on the upper mandible.

Danny Laredo
12-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Saw this image a while back, it is still a delight to view.

arash_hazeghi
12-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Very nice Ofer, it's good that you didn't miss this one due to focus!!! I can hear that poor grasshopper scream.

Arthur Morris
12-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Killer bird, sharpness, and locust. I'm with Danny on the antenna job.

Did you feed this bird or was it a natural capture?

Ofer Levy
12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Killer bird, sharpness, and locust. I'm with Danny on the antenna job.

Did you feed this bird or was it a natural capture?

Thnaks guys for comments and kind words!
Artie, I was sitting in my hide not too far from the nest hole when the two birds were bringing food to the nest. For about 5 sessions of 3 hours each over 5 days I only saw them bringing tiny black beetles - not exactly what I was hoping to photograph. In previous sessions I have seen them with lizards, big cetipids and even small birds so I had high expectations. On my last day when I was about to give it up as I had to fly back to Australia, very close to the end of the session I suddently saw this green mass filling the frame. My hands were shaking of excitment but as I said I was very lucky....:)

Arthur Morris
12-19-2009, 04:45 PM
You did well and have more patience than I have.

James Salywoda
12-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Fantastic shot Ofer!

Rob Drummond
12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Great shot Ofer - like to hear the background behind shots- thanks

cheers
Rob

Gerard Satherley
12-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Wonderful image Ofer. A lot to like about this image... fantastic details, prey etc.

Harshad Barve
12-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Amazing shot ofer , excellent techs and I prefer OP with oof Antena ,
TFS

Aren't they supposed to eat fish? :)

Axel , these guys are nuts here in India , they can be found everywherr and can eat anything , though they are good at fishing I have seen them hunting small mice also and one of my friend was lucky enough to shoot that shot

Krijn Trimbos
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Great prey item, good exposure, BG and nice colours. Great shot Ofer!