PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the woods

Bibhav Behera
12-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Shot this image in Bhitarkanika National Park in Orissa, India. I didn't have a support so shot handheld.
Intentional Underexposure.

Nikon D80 @ 135mm
SS 1/25
F 7.1
ISO 400

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2829&stc=1&d=1261074412

Robert Amoruso
12-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Bibhav,

Interesting idea that I think works even better with some tweaking that I will get into in a minute. On the intentional underexposure, if you where using slide I would agree that to accomplish this image you would have to underexpose. With digital you do not. this affect can be accomplished in PS or other program readily. Underexposing robbed you of detail in the shadows and increases the noise level.

I reposted the image and this is what I did:

Using the dodge tool and a soft wide brush in PS3, I dragged the brush along the trail from the lower left to just above the bird. I did that twice. I then cropped it into a Rule of Thirds arrangement. I feel the crop brings more attention to the bird and better accentuates the trail - your two main centers or interest. The dodging helps to better guide the viewer along the trail whereas before my eye was immediately drawn to the BG opening due to its brightness I now see the beginning of the trail, follow it to the bird and then to the BG exit. I left the cropping grid in place to see how I cropped it to the ROT.

Bibhav Behera
12-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks Robert for the repost. It looks better. Thanks for the PP advice too. :)

Dave Mills
12-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Bihav, I also like what Robert did regarding bringing out more detail in the foliage, path and tightening up the image. Good eye on this with the creation of a mysterious and interesting image!

Roman Kurywczak
12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Bibhav,
I like what Robert did also but you had a very good eye seeing it and conveying the mysterious mood. You can try bringing up othere areas too but be careful that you don't overdo it as the darkness adds to the overall mood.

Dave Blinder
12-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Great concept Bibhav, and nice detail and contrast. Very unique.

david cramer
12-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Very nice image and it definitely conveys a mood. Robert's repost is excellent.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Very nice image as I like the lighted path