PDA

View Full Version : Palo Verde, Costa Rica

Ilija Dukovski
12-18-2009, 11:27 PM
My first post here. This one is from 2008. Made by merging 2 images.
CC appreciated.

Nikon D80 28mm f/8 1/250 Matrix -2/3 ISO800

Minutes after I took these I was soaked wet from a really powerful
tropical storm.

Robert Amoruso
12-19-2009, 08:54 AM
ILIJ,

Thanks for joining us here, welcome.

By merging, do you mean a pano stitch or two images overlayed?

When looking at this image I have to decide what I like, wheat draws my eye. I like the mountains and I like the wetlands area in the middle ground (the water and brownish growths). As I get to the immediate FG I lose interest with the detailess diagonal land mass on left and branches on the right.

My two suggestions are a crop of the FG and a reverse s-curve to lower contrast and reveal hidden details. You can find out more about the reverse s-curve here at my tutorial: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434.

When composing landscapes and including expanses of foreground, look for intereting patterns, leading lines or geometric shapes that you can use to add interest and support the more distant elements of the image. Removing the immediate FG, IMO strengthens the image.

It does put the horizon in the center more, but I feel a good trade-off here.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Roman Kurywczak
12-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi Ilija,
Welcome to the forum! While I like what Robert did in the re-post this is one of those instances where the split ND filter or HDR would have helped greatly! The sky was much brighter than the FG so a split ND or 2 would have brought out more of the cloud/storm drama and brought up more detail in the FG also. Looking forward to more of your posts!

Dave Mills
12-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi lliga, I also like what Robert did with good advice from Roman...

Ilija Dukovski
12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome and great advice. I hope I will have more images to post in near future.

Ilija Dukovski
12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
By merging, do you mean a pano stitch or two images overlayed?

Robert, thanks for the comments and the link to the tutorial,
this image was done from two images in PS by photomerge.