PDA

View Full Version : Three Paranoid Owls

Anita Rakestraw
12-18-2009, 05:34 PM
OK, here's one I like that also has many flaws....;) Harsh light, wrong light angle among them. I was definitely there at the wrong time of day!! When I returned in lovely light, couldn't get a good shot....Another time. Taken at Hutchinson, KS. on a patch of land bordered by a shopping mall, busy street, and railroad tracks. Land shared by prairie dogs and burrowing owls.

8-07-09, 1:15 p.m.
1D Mk III
500mm w/ 1.4 extender, tripod
f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 400

Richard Waas
12-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Anita, I always struggle with taking photographs with harsh light. You're right about all the bad techs, but I love the capture. It won't be an award winner, but I love the look on their faces..... Keep 'em coming!

Caspar Davis
12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I love it. You can't always control the conditions and this is a great shot even if it isn't a technical masterpiece.

Lance Peters
12-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Anita - Agree with your self critique - sometimes the opportunity is just to good to pass up even if the conditions are not right.
love the eyes and the inquisitive stares.

Alfred Forns
12-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi Anita Agree with your critique but there is one solution harsh light and all ......

These birds tend to sit there without moving for a few seconds and it would be possible to do an HDR :) Wild suggestion but can work !!! Just set the camera for auto bracket three frames two stops apart, motor on high and make a few sequences !!!

Gus Cobos
12-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi Anita,
I like your composition and capture, agree about the lighting, but sometimes we can not pass up the opportunity given by Mother Nature...:eek::D Mr. Forns' exposure bracketing suggestion would be the way to go in situations like this...you did well considering the harsh light...just go back and be patient and try again...looking forward to it...:cool:

VinceRossi
12-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Great shot Anita. Tech or no.....The owl looks like I feel when I see some of "my" shots:D:eek:

Anita Rakestraw
12-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Great shot Anita. Tech or no.....The owl looks like I feel when I see some of "my" shots:D:eek:

LOL!! I can identify with your comment, Vince!! :D Thanks for stopping and taking time to comment.