PDA

View Full Version : Not hard, but hard for me

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I took this image in Nebraska in the spring of the year a couple of years ago. I have never been very sure as to what bird it is except in the broad category of Sparrow. Can anyone help. Thanks ahead of time.
Mac

John Chardine
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi Mac- It has the overall look of a Song Sparrow, so you were on the right track if I'm right!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks John, I looked it up in my book and you are right. Maybe I can't ID these birds because there are so many that look so much alike.
Mac

John Chardine
12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Mac- For me I find the best way is to do it be overall look. There are people out there who can tell you the colour of every feather on a bird's body. Again I tend to use overall look or "gestalt" as it is referred to in German. This comes with a familiarity with each species gained over time. For me the face just "says" Song Sparrow. And someone will tell me I'm all wrong!!

Dan Busby
12-19-2009, 09:24 AM
John and Mac. Yes, this one "says" Song Sparrow! Too bad we couldn't see the front of the bird but I don't think there is much doubt. These birds occur all over the continent and show a lot of variability from region to region. So, they don't all look exactly the same. But, as John says, this one has the overall look of a SS. And with that thick dark beak and long tail there are not too many others to even consider.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Thank to all for the help and the tips for the ID.
Mac