PDA

View Full Version : Splash! Splash! Away We Go

VinceRossi
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I see some awsome pics of birds here that seem to get "torn apart" which is making me leary of posting some of my catches here. For instance this is s GOOD shot for me even though it will not meet up to the standards of many on this site. (It barely met mine) As time goes on I hope to get better.

Is it equipment, location, availability,luck or all of the above with some expertise that makes for a great photo. I see some shots here that are just awsome but they don't seem to make the cut. I hope to meet that level some day.

ISO 200, 1/1000,F8, 300mm, ex-0, Sport mode.

Note: After posting I see where the quality of this photo isn't there ----I had some bead times with adjusting this pic. I will try harder in the future.

Alfred Forns
12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Hi Vince Catching one of these guys in flight is always a challenge !!

A few things can help you out, they normally swim around fishing and before they take off will see them shaking the feathers/slapping the wings on the water ... then they will take off. It will give you time to be ready and make the best possible image. Set you exposure manually since the bg will be changing as he moves and keep the sensor on the bird.

I like how you got the splashes behind the bird with less room up front, fine in this case. Would crop some from the bottom for a different ratio, longer will accentuate the forward motion.... all you needed here is better light !!!1

Gus Cobos
12-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi Vince,
This is a nice record capture of their behavior patterns...very good advise given by Mr. Forns. I would for the next one try to position yourself so that you catch this fellow flying or taking off in your direction, not away from you...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Anita Rakestraw
12-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Vince, there's lots to like in this image. I feel much like you do, though; I have many shots that are good for me, and I know I'm improving; but still have many flaws & hesitate to post most of mine, lol!! Bird photography is very challenging, isn't it!! We just have to keep learning and practiciing!!

VinceRossi
12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
I have heard the term "Record capture" used here before. What does that mean?

For me to get this guy in the Future (Spring of next year) I would have to be standing in water up to my kneck to capture him coming towards me. Just a lttile humor----hope you don't mind. Like I have said I have to settle for what I get and long for the times when I can capture that rare good shot.:D:D

Alfred Forns
12-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Vince Going away is just fine, the bird is trying to get away !! This is the crop I was thinking about ... this same image with soft light would be mighty fine !!!

VinceRossi
12-18-2009, 05:55 PM
How is this Al. This is pretty close to the way it came out of the camera--with a very minor amount of touch up. I guess sometimes it is better to leave things alone.

Richard Waas
12-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Vince, I like the image with the bird going away. I agree with my mentor, Al. A little better light and you've got a winner. Please don't feel as though you have to be up to a certain standard in order to post. I started posting here over a year ago and I feel as though I've come a long way, but I'm always learning. Take the ideas given as just that, ideas and not criticism and keep shooting.....

Caspar Davis
12-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Well done on catching the action. I like your last crop best, but would keep the other enhancements in your first post.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Lance Peters
12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Vince - we never stop learning :) I can understand how you feel, I am rarely 100% happy with any image I take - always thinking it could be better by doing this or doing that - however the end image is only one aspect - did you have fun?? Whilst being out there getting that image??

Its all subjective - lots of folk here strive to make gorgeous images with clear clean backgrounds that are technically perfect - in my experiences, in competitions these often fare poorly - because competitions are more biased towards natural history, so a less than perfect shot can well walk away with the prize - guess what I am trying to say is..... In the long run...

Does it matter if anyone likes or doesn't like it - as long as you had fun and enjoyed yourself in the process.

Keep having fun and keep em coming.

Dave Phillips
12-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Vince....excellent comment by Lance and others.
You must remember that these forums are designed to be "critique" forums and as such
comments and many points of view will be offered. Here in ETL, the critiques are a bit
forgiving and gentle so as not to discourage.......but with the full intent of being helpful
for one to progress/improve in their photography. That said, critique is to be expected
when one posts an image and praise when one post an excellent image. (Excellent being somewhat subjective)

Above all, as Lance noted......have fun, read everything, listen to advice given and as your expertise grows,
you will be able to discern good from not so good advice.

As is a popular phrase here: Keep 'em coming"

James Shadle
12-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Vince,

As stated above, BPN is an educational / critique forum community.
I remember years ago when I posted an image and the critique pointed out a "flaw" that my then untrained eye
was unable to see. At first I was really PO'd. Then I reflected on the points made, learned from it and the rest is history:).

I have heard the term "Record capture" used here before. What does that mean?
It basically means that the image is a keeper until you get a similar image of better quality.

I have plenty "shots of record" in my files.

James

VinceRossi
12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies and comments. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I have recommended this site to others, if they take advantage of the benefits that is up to them. I know I will keep on Posting and also will be shooting with different points of quality in mind. Starting with focus.