PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl in flight, (it ain't no Jim Nieger!)

Dan Brown
12-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Well, I finally got a few chances at a GHO in flight this past weekend! I really pushed the noise envelope of my D300 at ISO 800! And, my 80-400vr's AF really had a hard time keeping up with this guy, but I like this one:o. Cropped a bit and PP'ed in ACR and CS3. C&C welcome.

Camera Model: NIKON D300, handheld with shoulder stock
Camera serial number: 3125128
Firmware: Version 2.10
Date/Time: 2009:12:14 12:49:39
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Lens: VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D
Focal length: 400mm
Focal length: 600mm (in 35mm film)
VR Image Stabilization: On
AF mode: AF-C

David Stephens
12-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Beautiful bird and pose. I'm a noob also, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

I'm wondering if you could bring the brightness up to show a little more under-wing detail. Also, I think it's a little stronger with a closer crop, getting rid of most of that tree.

Congrats on the capture. I'm still looking to photograph my first GHO.

Dave

Dan Brown
12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks David for the suggestions. I would like to do both crop and lighten but these things seemed to add to the noise issue. I think this image is pretty much maxed out as far as my PS abilities are concerned!

Lance Peters
12-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi Dan - looks a little dark to me - I set a white point and a black point in P.S. and adjusted the mid tones just a tad.
Selected the bird and ran a genuine fractals sharpening action (Noel Carboni's - Med Sharp - Max texture) applied to the bird only - might have introduced some halo's but with such a small file - to be expected, at least it gives you a idea of what is possible.

Like the clearly visible eye and the towars you flight line.
Good show :)

Gus Cobos
12-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi Dan,
I like the flight capture angle. You have good eye contact...agree with Mr. Peters on the advise given...the repost is 100 percent...keep them coming Dan...you did good on the clean capture...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Good capture Dan !! These guys are not easy The trick is to have them larger in frame .. more focal length or getting closer !! With crops all little problems are magnified Sure like the work by Lance !!

Did great keeping the sensor on the bird !!!

Dan Brown
12-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks all for the help. Al, this is only about 20% crop. I think he was just going to fast for my SS to get a sharp image!

Dan Brown
12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Dan - looks a little dark to me - I set a white point and a black point in P.S. and adjusted the mid tones just a tad.
Selected the bird and ran a genuine fractals sharpening action (Noel Carboni's - Med Sharp - Max texture) applied to the bird only - might have introduced some halo's but with such a small file - to be expected, at least it gives you a idea of what is possible.

Like the clearly visible eye and the towars you flight line.
Good show :)
Thanks for your efforts Lance! I guess I need genuine fractals!