PDA

View Full Version : 'Old faithful' in B&W

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-17-2009, 03:40 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3482739-lg.jpg

Canon elan 7E. fuji velvia. 50 f/1.8. polarizer. Scanned and converted to B&W. From Yellowstone 05 trip.

All opinions welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey Kaustubh,
I find the steam lacks a bit of detail and seperation. It also appears some of the whites are a bit blown. You may want to revisit this one in PP'ing and try to get more detail in there.

Fabs Forns
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I'd love to see the color original, I'm sure the blue sky would improve this a lot.

Dave Mills
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Agree with Roman regarding the whites. Due to the large amount of clouds it seems to be taking away some of the drama of the steam. I would prefer the clouds and steam not merging....

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Thx everyone. I'll go back to orig slide scan to see if I see any more details in it.

Fabs, I dont have the color version handy right now. Will look it up over the weekend.

Robert Amoruso
12-18-2009, 09:23 PM
I checked the JPG and actually the image is flat as the tonal range needs expanding. Also needs more contrast. I played around with levels, curves and adding/subtracting black in selective color to the white, black and neural channels with various degrees of success.

I agree Kaustubh that going back to the original would be better then what I can do with the JPG. I would suggest making the blue sky very dark for dramatic affect.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I agree that there needs to be separation between steam and clouds.