PDA

View Full Version : I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob

Steve Kaluski
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
This afternoon the snow has just started to fall, so I thought I would post something a little different, but an animal that enjoys the cold.

These guys were as curious of us as we were of them. About to board our zodiacs this group of walrus came ever closer to investigate and giving them respect, they then gave us a full show, coming within feet of our shore party. Weighing in at over 4500lbs these guys are great swimmers, but on land they are a little slower:D thank goodness!

I wanted a tight shot that emphasised both the tusks and the bristles and lying on his side, to me, gave this guy a more relaxed pose!

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/400 f/9 ISO400 (Wimberely head & Gitzo tripo)

Fabs Forns
12-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Wow, that is one impressive animal!!! I would like to see a little more room for the cuspids at the right, they seems cramped as presented. Lots of detail in the fur? and thanks for sharing an unusual subject.

ChasMcRae
12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
One animal I have not seen, but on my list.
Like the tusk almost sharp and the eye sharp. Might have tried more than f9 if time but tough with 500mm ,however with tripod doable.
Also may have experimented with brightening the dependent eye very slightly, but potentially could look too strange.
I like your idea behind the pic.

Alfred Forns
12-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Excellent comments and fully agree !!!

The whiskers and cusps make such a strong impact my eyes are not going to the darker lower side ... sweet pose and one fine looking animal !!!

Harshad Barve
12-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Another fine image Steve , lovely details , Agreed with Alfred about tusks & cusps
TFS

Steve Canuel
12-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Even if I was unaware of the size of these animals, this frame filling comp gives a good indication of how massive these guys are. I like the almost translucent look of the whiskers.

Ken Watkins
12-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Steve, I do not remember you being that close lucky not to get a bit of the old green top in the picture!

Sabyasachi Patra
12-19-2009, 03:14 AM
Impressive animal. It is good that the eye is visible. Some more space at the right would have further strengthened the image. On first glimpse, I had thought that you were using a wide angle.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi