PDA

View Full Version : Eyes

Bob Blanchard
01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
This is a composition I've been working on for awhile. I don't have exactly what I'm after yet (at least, not according to my mind's eye). I'm after the intensity of the Owl's eyes, but with that secretive (almost angry) stare they present when just peering from their burrows. This iteration was in afternoon light, but I'm convinced that the golden morning light is better. I think that I want a more dramatic drop in DOF, with a sand (blurred) BG, and a bit less clutter across the face (although some is necessary for the impact I'm after). I actually took this image while getting a feel for a new backup body I just got (Canon 40D).

EXIF: Canon 40D with Canon 600mm f/4L, f/11, ISO 400, 1/320, Canon Circ. Polarizer used to take edge off the light. Time was 2 PM, and light was directly behind me with no clouds. Hand held frm very low POV (had to raise up just a bit to clear some grass). A single focusing point was used, and placed on the (Owl's) left eye.

http://CatcherofLight.smugmug.com/photos/233090049-L.jpg

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Got a suggestion for you !!!!! Try getting an owl out of the nest Use a 2X on your 600 and probably 50mm of extension tubes

Wait till late when the light is soft and shoot at f45 or so Don't need to go real high on the SS Your exposure will be 1/15 or less but by using flash you will have a sharp subject The slow shutter speed will allow you to have a pleasing bg

You can make very sharp images in that way and they do look Great

Going for the in the nest look will be difficult and you are at the mercy of the sticks I like the intensity here but the sticks are prominent and take away from the image !!!

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I like your idea very much, and it would work great for me except that one stick across his face and the OOF leaf almost covering the eye to the left of the image.

Good thinking, and I hope you can get the results you are after. Visualizing an image and then seeing it when it becomes real is exhilarating!

Big welcome to BPN!

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I think this "almost" works. I really like the framing on the sides of the bird, wish the diagonal stick wasn't in his face. Keep at it, I'm sure you will achieve what you are after. :)

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Love the intense stare but the one in focus branch across the face is a problem. Keep working in the idea I'm sure it will pay dividends..

Bob Blanchard
01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks all,

I definitely agree with you that the stick across the face is way too distracting. I have a few other attempts at this, but this was the most recent. Once I have it, it'll be good.

Thanks for the suggestion Al, sounds like it would work. The only problem with attempting this composition in early morning or late evening is that the Owl's eyes may be too dilated, and I think they lose some of the intensity that way. The more yellow, the more intense they seem to be. Will try it though, and see how it compares. Thia may be one of those ones I attempt for the rest of my life and never feel that I have it exactly how I want it :) ....But hey, that gives me an excuse to keep trying ;)