PDA

View Full Version : Great Grey Owl Composite

Doug Hitchcox
02-17-2008, 07:34 PM
This GGO has an unfortunate story. It showed up in Jackson, ME late January and was reported on the 25th. An hour after getting the report I was on the road to try and find him. After spending a little over an hour on the road he was seen I found a Barred Owl and had a great photo shoot with that bird. Less than a mile down the road from the barred, I met up with two birders who had spotted the Great Grey. This is a composite of the first shots I got of this bird. They were taken with a 30D and 100-400mm plus a 1.4 extender all supported by a monopod. Unfortunately this bird died of natural causes about a week after it was found. There is very little editing done, aside from stitching the shots together, so I just thought i'd share this cool behavior of the great grey going after some prey. Comments and critiques are welcome!

Fabs Forns
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Great idea, but I would separate them a bit more so they can be differentiated. A little more contrast can be used and I don't know what the white part is for, but you could text the species name there. Sorry the OWL died :(

Alfred Forns
02-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the owl Doug !!! The image is complex and difficult to understand Still not sure what is going on Would evict the lower white line and increase contrast in the birds !!!

Doug Hitchcox
02-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks you two, I agree with your critiques but I was just trying something out here, not really intended to be a good image. I am currently on a trial of photoshop and just thought this would be fun to try. The white line is from the snow on the ground and this picture was taken from very far away. I probably should have made it look at least a little better before posting but this was just me playing on photoshop is some junk shots. I guess this one might have been a little to far "out of the box" lol, thanks again!