PDA

View Full Version : Follow The Leader - Does It Work?

Jay Gould
12-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Prior to going to Argentina Ramon Casares recommended that we visit Ibera Marshes - Esteros del Ibera and stay at Laguna de la Possada. Thank you Ramon - fantastic advice; fantastic week; fantastic photography - over 50 different species.

To get into the Marsh where we were staying you had to navigate a 160 km dirt road, which because of constant rain was actually a 6 - 12" mud deep stream which required six hours of slugging it out in an old 4x4 - great fun.

We came across a field and there was one spoonbill and a group of storks. As soon they heard our car they were in the air. Fortunately I was wearking knee high rubber boots because I simply jumped out of the car and started shooting.

I have a lot more images to share; however, this was fun watching the spoonbill overtake and lead the storks.

The image is 60% of the original and using the clone tool I move two of the storks "a bit" to create a little bit more space between the birds.

Because the background is almost the color of this site background would you put a 1 or 2 pixel black stroke around the image?

Camera: 7D
Capture date/time: 25 Nov 09; 10:30am
Light condition: clear and cloudy
Lens: 300 f/2.8
Focal length: 600mm
Extender: 2.0X
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 800
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: 1/2000 sec
Aperture: f/7.1
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: AI Servo
Tripod: no
Filter: None
Crop: 60%

Processed in LR 3 (beta) and then CS4 - the "usual" plus Topaz Denoise and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Alfred Forns
12-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Glad you had a great time Jay!! From your description the ride was something else !!

Interesting image, don't recall seeing one spoon leading a parade like that !!! Your quick reaction sure made a difference, helps being out in the Jim Neiger school ... he will be proud of you !!!

You made the best possible image from your position, we can always wish for better wing positions but the image is sharp and well exposed !!! Doing good Jay !!!

Gus Cobos
12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I like this as presented Jay,
well done on the capture, I like the pano crop...:cool:

Lance Peters
12-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Nice work Jay - sounds like a great adventure.
Looking forward to seeing more :)