PDA

View Full Version : Ibis B&W

Anita Rakestraw
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Taken at Cheyenne Bottoms in September. Converted to B&W. Background was already very pale, I went ahead and overexposed it in post-processing. (Guess I was in a high-key mood when processing these, as I did several this way.) :)

9-05-2009
1 D Mk III, 500 mm + 1.4 ext.
ISO 400, 1/2500, f/5.6

WIlliam Maroldo
12-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Anita. Nice composition, and overall a very good image. I did notice you talking about increasing exposure in post processing to get a high key effect, and unless you a talking about only the background, this can have very negative effects. The problem is if the subject is even a little bit underexposed, noise can become a serious problem when you try brightening it up. Take any underexposed image, even at ISO 100, and increase exposure post processing and noise will rear its ugly head. I think on you last ibis image this was a primary problem. Here, not so much, but the subject has remained pretty dark and you are OK.
I shoot a lot of high key, and practically always in camera. I overexpose the heck out of the images, always in soft or low contrast lighting, and in post processing drop the exposure down. Decreasing brightness never induces noise, and overexposed image contain much less noise to start with than underexposed ones. regards~Bill

Alfred Forns
12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Anita

You came up with a very nice image and unusual to say the least, not your conventional high key image (as explained by Bill) !!

Would clean up the bottom and couple of spots on the left then crop some form the top for proportion !!! Got a keeper !!!

Gus Cobos
12-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Anita,
I like the composition, image and capture, with the high-key background. The reflection makes it for me on this one...agree with the good advice given. Would suggest on lightening the area around the eye and selective sharpening it just a tad...looking good...keep them coming...:cool:

Lance Peters
12-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi Anita - different and sure like it a lot - agree with the comments about cleaning up the water.
A touch of sharpening to the eye and Id be happy.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Anita Rakestraw
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks all of you for the comments; suggestions well-taken! Thanks, Bill, for the time you took to discuss "high key." I realize my image is not strictly a high key one; have never tried it in-camera but I think I will. :) I still have an "issue" with exposing enough to the right, also....another thing I must focus on!!