PDA

View Full Version : Light / exposure/ color

Ray Rozema
12-16-2009, 04:40 PM
I would like to understand something better. I am beginning to understand what harsh light is and how it adversely effects IQ. I have noted others suggesting that overcast cloudy skies are better. But to my eye, colors are not as brilliant when skies are overcast. Does the camera exposure cause the colors to brighter even though our eye does not see it that way, assuming correct exposure? Or does one need to boost the color in post processing to bring the colors out?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ray:)

Roger Clark
12-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Ray,
It depends a lot on what you are photographing. Closeups without the sky in the background, e.g. flowers, wildlife can show beautiful colors. But every case can be unique.

Here is a guide on lighting (I've got a lot more to add, but it's a start);
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/lighting.composition.subject

Roger

Jay Gould
12-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Ray, thanks from starting this thread.

Roger, I just read for the first time - the article will be read several more times to sink into this thick head - you amazing article on Lighting, Composition, and Subject. Thank you very much for taking the time - a significant amount of time - to expand and yet simplify the presentation of this material.

While all three topics are equally important, I am finding Lighting/Exposure to be the hardest to conquer, and within the subject of exposure determining average tonality in manual mode so as to have a base starting point from which to adjust is hardest of all.

Ray Rozema
12-17-2009, 04:25 PM
My mistake I meant to put this in the General Photo forum

thanks for the help Roger

Roger Clark
12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll see about getting it moved to general photography.
Roger

Don Lacy
12-17-2009, 11:51 PM
I am finding Lighting/Exposure to be the hardest to conquer, and within the subject of exposure determining average tonality in manual mode so as to have a base starting point from which to adjust is hardest of all.
Jay it is not to hard once you learn the tonalities in nature for example in morning and evening light grass is -1, blue sky +1, beach sand +1, mangrove leaves -1 1/2, palm of your hand+1, white clouds +2 grey clouds 0, oak or pine tree bark 0, my back pack -1. Using spot metering in manual mode I use these as my staring point I then take an image and use the histogram to fine tune the exposure.