PDA

View Full Version : Pine Siskin

Dan Busby
12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Although I love these little birds that liven up the Canadian winter landscape, I always found it difficult to get a photo that showed the beautiful yellow in the wings. I think this one is a step in the right direction. I toned down a couple of light spots above the head. C&C welcome.

Canon 40D, Canon 100-400L IS @ 400
1/250, F6.4, AP

Daniel Cadieux
12-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Ah yes, this brings back nice memories of the great Pine Siskin invasion of last winter!! Some individuals have more yellow than others, this one looks like one of them. I kinda wish it had lowered its tail as it is lost in front of the body. Is this cropped, and if so do you have more room below to avoid the clipped toe? Nice BG here with interesting greens/purples. The face could stand another round of sharpening. Hope some of these guys come back this year again!!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Nice look-back pose, soft light and BG. I agree that a bit more room at the bottom would help and the image could go a tad lighter for my taste.

Dan Busby
12-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks Axel and Daniel. I didn't notice that darn clipped toe!

Malcolm Benn
12-18-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm looking forward to getting a crack at these little guys this Winter ... this angle required a bit more Dof to get the head as sharp as you would have liked but that would have been a tough shot when you're already at 1/250

do you get down to Valley Inn or LaSalle much or do you prefer Dundas Marsh?