PDA

View Full Version : Tri-colored Heron

Bill Dix
12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
D90; 80-400 VR @ 260mm. ISO 200, f/7.1 @ 1/640. Matrix metering, 0EV; Aperture priority. HH. 15% crop for comp.

Little Estero Lagoon three weeks ago. This fellow was very cooperative, walking to within the minimum focus distance as I fired away. Unfortunately most of the images show an annoying reflection of nearby condos in the BG, so I've chosen this as the best of the batch. Nikon View NX shows the focus point just behind the eye, but it looks to me as if the actual focus is on the flank. C&C appreciated.

Gus Cobos
12-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the composition and low capture angle. You have good details. The colors look a little on the flat side, and the overall image is just a tad under exposed. The focus point is just behind the eye. Would recommend adjusting the contrast and saturation a little to make him come alive. The eye needs a round of selective sharpening. Looking forward to your next one Sir...congrats...:cool:

Bill Dix
12-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you Gus. Here is a repost with more contrast via USM 20/50/0 at 50% opacity, Sat. boost of +15, and a bit of selective sharpening. It makes a big difference. How can you tell where the focus point is? What you say agrees with Nikon ViewNX (and my original intent) but the flank looked sharpest to my eye (before the selective sharpening). I appreciate the help.

Gus Cobos
12-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Bill,
I ran it through Nikon View, and Nikon Capture NX2...:) This is 100 percent better...good deal Bill...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Bill Focusing wise is difficult getting the point of focus around the eye, those guys are motoring around at a good clip, just take multiples and pick the best one !!! I've had luck using all the sensors !!

Good looking re post !! Can only add I would like a little more room for the bird in frame ... and the condos are the finest feature of Little Estero Lagoon !!!! During the afternoon the sun reflects of the condos and you get different color water bg !! Gold is my favorite !! I always end up in that area for the afternoon !!

Lise De Serres
12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi Bill,

What an improvement in your repost, the bird stands out a lot more and my eye goes directly on the eye's heron which is very captivating. Great work in the post-processing!!

Anita Rakestraw
12-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Nice sharp bird, Bill, and agree that the repost is an improvement. Like Lise, my eye goes straight to the heron's eye! Good job.

Lance Peters
12-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi Bill - repost is a definite improvement. Feels a little tight for my personal tastes - especially up front, could easily extend the canvas if you so wished.
Good show :)

Bill Dix
12-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I agree about adding canvas; I should have at least given him enough room to stretch his neck out. Thanks for the help.

Ray Rozema
12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
very good image Repost definite improvement. another vote for a little more room TFS