PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron in Flight

Desmond Chan
12-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Another result of playing with Topaz Adjust :)

D300 300f2.8 hand-held. ISO 800 f2.8 1/640s.

The original of this photo I processed in June last year in ACR and Photoshop. The jpeg file I got somehow already has a similar look to what you're seeing now.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking !!

Gus Cobos
12-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Hi Desmond,
I like the image and capture. The high-key background makes you little guy pop. You have good details and good color rendition. I like the processing effects that Topaz has to offer. I would suggest adding 1/4 canvas on top to give him some climbing space and take 1/4 from the bottom to balance the compositional value...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi Desmond Interesting look, there is detail throughout and whites in check. Normally they don't look like that, the sky does have some detail so the comp had to be around one over, did you have to open any shadows?

Desmond Chan
12-16-2009, 10:58 PM
there is detail throughout and whites in check. Normally they don't look like that, the sky does have some detail so the comp had to be around one over, did you have to open any shadows?

No, I didn't specifically opened any shadows. For this one, I ran it through Topaz Adjust. It takes care of everything (including opening up the shadows). The Topaz website says Topaz Adjust "averages the exposure" of the photograph.

I have attached the original jpeg that I processed (without any special effect) last year for comparison. To me, it already has a not-normal look. I'm not sure why. I took this in the morning on a cloudy day if that means anything.

Lance Peters
12-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi Desmond - OP looks a little contrasty to me - somewhere between the two for my personal tastes.
I quite like the high key effect.
Good Ha and eye contact and flight pose.