PDA

View Full Version : Ringbilled Gull

Anita Rakestraw
02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I've done a couple sessions out at the nearby marina just to practice handheld BIF images with the gulls. I'm really an infant at BIF. Info on this is: 1MK3, 100-400mm w/1.4 ext., FL 560, f/9, ss 1600, IS0 500, handheld using IS, approx. 5:30 p.m. My goal right now is just to see if I can get a BIF in focus!! This is probably my best effort so far.

With my photography in general right now, I am kinda going back to basics for awhile. One of my big issues is simply focus/sharpness. I seem to really have difficulty with that, even on a good tripod (let alone handheld!) I rarely get a truly crisp result and cannot figure out why - it's not just with this camera, but with my previous Rebels as well. I have good lenses, an expensive Gitzo tripod, Markins ballhead, sometimes use mirror lockup, remote shutter release, etc., etc. Any help with this would be truly appreciated - I am getting discouraged!!

Douglas Bolt
02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Anita,

Composition is good and so is the eye contact.

I'm sure others will provide more expert advice in shooting BIF, but from my limited experinece, I'd suggest your keep the 1.4 in your camera bag and not put it on a 100-400. The TC slows down an already slow to focus lens and it also softens the image, at least that is my impression.

Here's my suggestions to try. Lock the 100-400 at about 375, set IS on #2, set to Servo, turn on all focus points and set shutter to H. Then go out and blast away. If you can get a friend to toss pop corn or other gull food, you should be able to do a lot of practicing. As you get better, you may want to try with just the center focus point active, but I'd suggest you start with all points active.

Hope that helps. I'm guessing you will be surprised how much better your BIF shots are once you take the TC off. You are "very close" as is.

BTW, where in SC Kansas do you call home?

Alfred Forns
02-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Solid advice from Douglas !!! Fully agree !!!!

Keep practicing and will see expected results in no time !!! Would suggest to acquire a 400 5.6 at some time Best hand held flight lens around

With your current set up (or any) remember to follow through after pressing the shutter and always pan faster Would also advice using the center point only with the MK3 !!!

George DeCamp
02-17-2008, 09:08 PM
With my photography in general right now, I am kinda going back to basics for awhile. One of my big issues is simply focus/sharpness. I seem to really have difficulty with that, even on a good tripod (let alone handheld!) I rarely get a truly crisp result and cannot figure out why - it's not just with this camera, but with my previous Rebels as well. I have good lenses, an expensive Gitzo tripod, Markins ballhead, sometimes use mirror lockup, remote shutter release, etc., etc. Any help with this would be truly appreciated - I am getting discouraged!!

First rule: Don't get discouraged, get even! :D

You need to work at it and work on lens technique. For sure take the 1.4 away until you see if you can get a sharp image without that on. Second, is that lens tack sharp with non moving subjects? Reason I ask is I have read (I am a nikon guy) that the 100-400 can be variable in sharpness between different lenses. That is to say yours may be soft and the next guys better. So give yours a good test and see, if it is soft you may need to make some camera adjustments (AF tweaks) on your MKIII for that lens.

That said, you did pretty well here, still a little soft but that could just be the converter hurting you as well on that lens. Try it without.

Keep them coming!

Anita Rakestraw
02-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Doug, Alfred, and George, thank you very much for the advice! I will try it all.
As for the lens sharpness, George, I do wonder about that but mostly do not get quite the crispness as many others do even with other lenses/camera models ( and with other kinds of photography), so I think much of it must be something I'm not doing right....
Douglas, homebase is El Dorado, 20 min. or so NE of Wichita. Again, gentlemen, thank you so much!

Brian Wong
02-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Anita!

May I ask if you feel that all your images are soft in general, or just the BIF?

To try and narrow it down if it is something mechanical, I have experienced situations where both the lens and the body were not quite "right", with instant improvements just by sending them back to Canon for adjustment and recalibration. Do you know how to check if it is back (or front)-focusing? Also sending for adjustments while still under warranty only cost the price of shipping (and time).

Next, you should be aware that ALL images coming out in RAW format is soft. This is due to the anti-aliasing filter that is placed in front of the sensor. The message here is at all RAW images will need some sharpening (many refer to USM here).

Finally, have fun just practicing, and keep firing away! I don't know anyone that can make every single image sharp (I use that delete button all the time!) It does help to know your settings, and your camera's behavior so that goal is to increase your chances each time.

I do mean to keep firing away ... hope that helps!

Anita Rakestraw
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you, Brian. I've had variable results with all my lenses and cameras, and with this camera and this lens, have not yet done much so not sure. I have a bad habit, though, of being too eager to make pictures and not eager enough to really get to know my equipment and hone skills....)-: So I have "backed up" a bit and am presently concentrating on those most basic skills, which will no doubt pay off in tracking down my issue with sharpness/focus! It's so hard to slow down and do things properly, but it's the only way I'm going to get where I want to be in photography.....sigh....

George, I agree with your "first rule," and plan on doing just that! I have no experience with Nikon at all but have been very impressed with what I've seen and had I not already invested so much in Canon, would be tempted to switch over!