PDA

View Full Version : Pied Bill Grebe

Caspar Davis
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
This is another picture from Bosque last April. Heavy crop, boosted exposure 1/3, levels, saturation, sharpen.
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
1/400 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Program
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
ISO: 800
Focal length: 400mm
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Gus Cobos
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi Casper,
I like the capture...a few things to consider. The capture angle on this little fellow is a little steep, would have liked to have seen a much lower capture angle, the subject is centered in frame, would look best if you off set him to the left side of the frame. The vertical reeds in the water are a bit distracting, my eyes keep going there, taking the attention away from your subject, and the colors look a tad flat. I took the liberty of making a few adjustment to illustrate these points. See if the repost looks best to you. In addition to moving the subject to the left side of the frame, I added more canvas to the right side, boosted the saturation and contrast levels just a tad, and ran noise reduction in the background, and selective sharpened the eye...:cool:

Caspar Davis
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Gus. I really like the enhanced colors, especially in the water. I forgot to say that I removed a big reed that grew right out of his head. This is the original picture, right out of the camera.

Oscar Zangroniz
12-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Hood eye contact and Ha. Composition is also good. Great job by the light wizard in the re post.:eek:

Alfred Forns
12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi Casper

All good points and agree !! One thing I noticed is the metering system used. In my camera I have it disabled so I don't set it by mistake, not much use. Would go for the matrix !!

Lance Peters
12-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Casper - great points and advice given above. Would also consider moving away from program mode into AV or TV modes as your experience grows - much more useful than Auto mode.
Looking forward to seeing more :)