PDA

View Full Version : Tricolored Heron Up Close

Garry Gibson
12-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I was photographing at the Pelican Island NWR. I was testing my 500L with 2x converter
and this Tricolored Heron landed right in front of me.

I have several portrait type shots, but something about his stare and this stray feather
sticking out made it a little different. I am not sure different is good, but it is different.

Taken with 40D, 500L 2x Converter F14 1/800 ISO 800.

I should have moved the ISO back a bit because there is some noise visible.

In Photoshop, I did auto contrast, a crop to vertical and added some vibrance.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2525/4188181286_833e4dd796_o.jpg

Alfred Forns
12-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Gary I like the close up and would go even tighter over the legs, neat looking feather to the side :)

For these you need to be in perfect sun angle to minimize the shadows and then still do some fill, other choice is very soft light !!

When your able to work these birds try making one straight on so the eyes look symmetrical, look sort of special !! ... btw the image is very sharp and well exposed with a killer bg !!! Excellent !!

Lance Peters
12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi Garry - Lots to like here - AL'S advice is spot on the money - just the light angle is a issue for me here.
Would crop even tighter - BG is good and like the intense stare.
Looking forward to seeing more:)

Gus Cobos
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Agree with the techs. and advise given Garry. The solid light blue background compliments your subject quite well. I like the sharp details in the feathers, and the color rendition is good...I too would have liked to have seen a little bit more of the eyes...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Anita Rakestraw
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I really like this, Garry; as you say, it's a little different. The feather is great! :) Agree with maybe cropping just above the legs; and I too wish the shadow were not there or at least lighter. But I love it, overall!

Oscar Zangroniz
12-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Great in your face capture gary. All the techs covered
Congrats