PDA

View Full Version : Florida bird destination advice

Jim Buescher
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm planning to drive down to Florida in a few months and would appreciate any advice on time and locations for bird photography. First, what would be the best month; Feb. or March? Next, my destination(s) are open to just about anywhere. I was thinking the west coast, hitting Sanibel, Little Estro Lagoon and the Venice rookery then maybe St. Augustine on the way home. Would a side trip down to the Anhinga Trail be worth the time or should that area be my prime target? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Neiger
12-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I suggest March as late as possible and concentrate on Central Florida. You can do (from east to west) Merritt Island, Viera Wetlands, Orlando Wetlands, Gatorland, Canoe Creek Road Area, Fort Desoto, Venice Rookery, etc. There are also many places in these areas I didn't mention. Artie has site guides available for most of them.

Jim Buescher
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Jim, Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'll start gathering info on these places and work out an itinerary. Do most of these places have the same species? I'd like to keep the traveling down but get the most variety if possible...Thanks again.

Alfred Forns
12-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Agree with Jim on the timing and Central Florida.

Anhinga Trail and Flamingo can be very good but peak is Jan/Feb ... and all dependent on water levels. Will post updates.

If you want a sensory overload should treat yourself for one day with Jim on his boat, might do better than the rest of the trip :) btw checking Arties guide would be a great idea, I'm finishing on up on South Florida as we speak !!

Garry Gibson
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree with Jim and Alfred, but I definitely wouldn't miss Merritt Island. There are three
separate long trails several miles long with lots of places to shoot. Viera is the easiest place
to shoot you will ever see.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Alfred Forns
12-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Gary have you been to Viera lately? They have had several closings and I'm not sure what is going on there !!! Sure hope we don't loose that place, the new management is not doing much !!!

Garry Gibson
12-16-2009, 05:39 AM
I have not been in the past three weeks, but Ira Runyan who shoots
there almost everyday and posts on POTN says that because of
budget cutbacks they are closing the roads at almost every rain.

It's a shame because it is so accessible to I-95 and so easy to get around.

Jim Buescher
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Thank you all! Looks like it'll be central Florida in March for me with Merritt Island NWR at the top of the list and going from there.

Alfred Forns
12-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the report Garry !!!