PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Valley Wolf

Hal Everett
12-15-2009, 01:47 AM
My 2 favorite shots of this wolf are quite different. In the shot a few seconds after this one the wolf has stopped and is looking toward the camera, but it's eyes are so small( much smaller than a dog's) and pig like that it gives the wolf the appearance of stupidity. I think that this shot conveys more the cunning and wildness that we associate with this animal. Please let me know if you agree, and any other critiques. D50, 800mm f5.6, 1/1000 sec@f5.6, ISO250
Thanks,
Hal

Hal Everett
12-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Here is the other. EXIF data is the same.

Harshad Barve
12-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Hi Hal
one lovely animal and very well captured , lovely framing and nice light ,
TFS

ps , It is better to keep one image per thread , you can add reposts by improving the same image :)

Alfred Forns
12-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Hal ... it is only one image per post but I can't bring myself to delete a wolf :D

First of all its just awesome finding one to photograph ... still waiting for my first one .. .most have been out of range just a dot in the frame.

As presented would take a little from the top below the strip of land and ideally you want the wolf more to the right side of the frame giving him more space in the direction he is looking .... in this case it could work either way since he is moving to the right ... on the second frame there is a more compelling reason for moving right !!

Totally different temp on the two images ... change the WB? Big Congrats on your wolf !!!

D. Robert Franz
12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Always lucky to capture a wolf image in the wild. In both images I would crop some off the right side of the frame. Atmospheric distortion is quite visible.. hard to avoid with this much focal length. There is no subsitute to proximety to the subject. I agonize over it all the time photographing wolves and bears in Yellowstone

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Glad that you got to photograph one this well. The wolves that I saw in lamar valley( back in 05) were so far away that even through the scopes, we could not see them this well. Congrats.

Hal Everett
12-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Sorry about the 2 posts. I will recrop and redo WB. Thank you all.

Hal

Sabyasachi Patra
12-19-2009, 03:55 AM
Hal,
I agree with the comments above. A big congratulations for sighting and photographing a wolf. We don't see too many of those in this forum.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi