PDA

View Full Version : Photo ops in Pt St Lucie FL area

Gail Yovanovich
12-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Howdy, folks.

I'll be visiting an elderly aunt in Port St Lucie in late Jan/early Feb. I'd appreciate suggestions on nearby sites for bird photography, as well as landscape/seascape, etc., and won't be able to go too far afield.

Thanks so much....

Garry Gibson
12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Gail, the closest place to you will probably be the Pelican Island National Wildlife Reserve in
Vero Beach. There is a nice pond right at the parking area and a short walk to a observation
area. However, the best shots are about a mile down the walking trail where there is another
observation area.
A little north of that is the Sebastian State Park which has lots of beach with no one usually
around and good shots of the beach, you can just look across A1A and there are other shots
of the Indian River Lagoon.

Good luck on your trip.
GG

Gail Yovanovich
12-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the info, Garry - I'll try it...

Joe Campanellie
12-19-2009, 11:32 PM
My in laws have lived in Vero for years. When visiting I try and get out as much as possible. Can usually find some nice sunsets in the area by the causeways. There's a nice botanical gardens in Vero. The name escapes me right now. Right on the main road.

Also a number of the Florida Birding trails are in that area. They can be hit and miss but worth taking a chance.

There's a water treatment plant out by the exit for Vero off of 95 that a lot of folks go to. Also part of the Florida birding trail. They used to have some funny hours so you may want to check before you. Closed on Fridays ans stuff like that.

Other than that a drive up the coastal road near the beach can yield some nice locations too.

Fort Pierce is the next major city south of Vero. Only a few minutes. A nice park just after you go over the causeway. Go to the next causeway and you can go out on the jetty. Follow that road south and there are many small beach and lagoon areas. All the way down to the coast guard light house and what the locals call turtle beach if I remember correctly.

By the lighthouse there is a living worm reef. Not typical coastline for Florida. Looks more like Maine. Have taken my kids down there at dawn for some sunrise photos that have won some major awards from Kodak. Look for the little parking next to the museum.

Good Luck...

Gail Yovanovich
12-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Thank you, Joe, for the detailed response. Sounds like I'll have some decent photo ops despite my limited flexibility.

Cheers....Gail.