PDA

View Full Version : What's the consensus on the best Bald Eagle/Mississippi River spots?

Mark Perry
12-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I am planning my first January trip to IA for some bald eagle shooting. I have been told L&D 14 (by several) is the "best" L&D spot so I made reservations for Le Claire. However, I am not "married" to L&D 14 as I am willing to be mobile up and down the river. I will be there January 17-21, 2010.

Any other advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Cheryl Flory
12-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Mark, We are also planning on making the trip to the river to photo Bald Eagles sometime in January. Here is a great link for information on all the lock and dams, their updated bird counts, the dates of their eagle festivals, and even their phone numbers!
http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/missriver/Eagle%20Watching/Eagle%20Main.htm

It appears they update the count each Wednesday. In the past, we found Lock and Dam 18 which is across from Burlinton, IA, to have the most birds, although that is not the case as of December 9, this year, but it is still too early in the season to tell. Daughter and I went there a couple of years ago and it was wonderful.

Dug Threewitt
12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't make it that far north, but at LD 24 in Clarksville MO, last year on Jan 10 there were in excess of 600 bald eagles. The following week there were between 300-400. Unfortunately, if you want sun at your back, you have to shoot in the afternoon or from a boat in the morning.

Mark Perry
12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Mark, We are also planning on making the trip to the river to photo Bald Eagles sometime in January. Here is a great link for information on all the lock and dams, their updated bird counts, the dates of their eagle festivals, and even their phone numbers!
http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/missriver/Eagle%20Watching/Eagle%20Main.htm

It appears they update the count each Wednesday. In the past, we found Lock and Dam 18 which is across from Burlinton, IA, to have the most birds, although that is not the case as of December 9, this year, but it is still too early in the season to tell. Daughter and I went there a couple of years ago and it was wonderful.

Cheryl,

Thanks. Someone else passed along that helpful link as well. Can you shoot (for front lit birds) Burlington only in the afternoon? I planned to make it down there at some point during the week.

Mark

Mark Perry
12-15-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't make it that far north, but at LD 24 in Clarksville MO, last year on Jan 10 there were in excess of 600 bald eagles. The following week there were between 300-400. Unfortunately, if you want sun at your back, you have to shoot in the afternoon or from a boat in the morning.

Dug, I have heard good things about Clarksville as well, especially regarding the number of eagles.

Mark

andrewhuxman
12-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Lock and Dam #14 is probably the closet you will get to the birds as they are all around you flying Burlington from what I have seen(pics) and heard they are quite a ways away. The numbers are larger at Burlington but they are distant.

Mark Perry
12-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Lock and Dam #14 is probably the closet you will get to the birds as they are all around you flying Burlington from what I have seen(pics) and heard they are quite a ways away. The numbers are larger at Burlington but they are distant.

Ok.. great..Thanks... thats the kind of info I am seeking... I have the 500 f4 and the 1.4x extender if need be (for 700mm) + the 7D (1.6x) but always prefer not to use an extender unless I have too.

Mark

andrewhuxman
12-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok.. great..Thanks... thats the kind of info I am seeking... I have the 500 f4 and the 1.4x extender if need be (for 700mm) + the 7D (1.6x) but always prefer not to use an extender unless I have too.

Mark

When the birds are active 500 will do fine thats what I use but lots of people have 600's and even 400's ...colder the better now there is not much ice we are all waiting anxiously

Mark Perry
12-23-2009, 09:14 PM
When the birds are active 500 will do fine thats what I use but lots of people have 600's and even 400's ...colder the better now there is not much ice we are all waiting anxiously

sounds like the 500mm is the happy medium. Hopefully some sun and no blizzards, etc. the week I am there Jan 17-21.

gingercat
12-25-2009, 01:52 AM
My husband and I are scheduled to come out at New Year's to photograph eagles at Burlington. The official bird counts so far appear essentially non-existent, and we are getting concerned that we'll end up there without anything to shoot.

How are things looking? Any improvement since the last post about the river not being frozen?

andrewhuxman
12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
My husband and I are scheduled to come out at New Year's to photograph eagles at Burlington. The official bird counts so far appear essentially non-existent, and we are getting concerned that we'll end up there without anything to shoot.

How are things looking? Any improvement since the last post about the river not being frozen?

As of today 12/30/09 the river is wide open and high, but temps are supposed to fall drastically for the next week. Hopefully this will improve conditions for the Eagles and their feeding on Shad

gingercat
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the update. We were to have left today and returned January 3rd. Decided Monday night to cancel the trip...sounds like we made the right decision!

Oh well...we'll have to try again next year. Probably book a bit later next time.

Thanks!

andrewhuxman
12-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Your very welcome, sorry to hear about your canceling ,I am going to the river this Saturday to see what is what temps will be cold which is good for activity hopefully there will be some birds .

Ken Crites
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I was at LD14 this weekend and it was pretty good for photos. I had the 500mm + 1.4 and for a small time while they were fishing I had to switch to a 70-200 (on another body) they were so close. You will be amazed at how close they can come to you and how they just sit in the trees right off of the parking lot. We had about 12 circling around us this morning and another 8 up in the trees. Anyway, it is a great location!

Mark Perry
01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Great! I am headed there Jan 16 with two other fellow photographers for 5 days. I hope we have the same luck!