PDA

View Full Version : Foraging Ibis

Anita Rakestraw
12-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Wish this were sharper and had a better head turn. I overexposed the background in post-processing to eliminate much of the distracting vegetation. The image was taken at Cheyenne Bottoms in early September.

Does anyone know if this is a young ibis, or an adult losing its breeding plumage?

1D Mk III
500mm w/1.4 ext.
ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/1250
9-5-2009

Bob Decker
12-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Anita, I really like the high-key presentation.

Lance Peters
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Anita - agree with your self critique - More DOF was probably called for in this instance.
Does appear a little soft with a lack of fine detail in some area's - do like the high key effect.
Cant help with the ID Though.
Looking forward to seeing more.

Gail Spitler
12-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi Anita - I think your ibis is an adult molting to nonbreeding plumage. We don't see either White-faced or Glossy locally so I have limited ibis experience, but I am guessing your bird is an adult White-faced Ibis. Maybe post the image over at Avian Identification Forum.
Really interesting PS work, very painterly.
Cheers
Gail

Desmond Chan
12-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Is this a large crop?

I like the high key presentation, too.

Gus Cobos
12-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi Anita,
I agree with your self critique...I like the high-key and the overall quality of the image looks like a painting...very nice...looking forward to your nexr one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Anita This is a Glossy Ibis One tough bird to bring out the colors, they are like a mirror and need to have the sun just right ... and sun you need, on cloudy days they just don't come out !!!

The image is interesting and like the idea but the bird looks odd, rear end is sort of dark with all that white around it. Also I keep thinking the bird is back lit (looking at the white bg) and there is no way to have any color on the bird under those conditions.

Do like how the bird has one leg up and the few grasses are appealing with the rest clean !!! I like different !!!

Caspar Davis
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I really like the silhouette and reflection - very creative presentation.
Caspar

Anita Rakestraw
12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks so much for your opinions and comments, and help with ID too. There were alot of these around in Sept. but not in very picturesque surroundings, and I don't think I got eye contact once! :( Maybe next time - I can hardly wait to go back this spring!