PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville FL area locations for weekend of Dec 19-21?

Geoff Coe
12-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm from SW Florida and will be meeting relatives in Jacksonville this weekend. Although I'm familiar with Merritt Island and Canaveral area, I'm wondering if anyone could suggest places for photography in Jacksonville and points south. My relatives are avid birders (one's a pro). Neither are photographers, but they happily indulge me.

Thanks, in advance!

Michael Pancier
12-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi Geoff. Welcome to BPN. Fort Clinch State Park in Amelia Island is great. Fantastic landscape photo ops and lots of birds; especially osprey. There's an "osprey trail" there which is pretty good.

Little Talbot state park is a great location for landscapes with lots of deadwood along the shore. That's also just north of Jax

Steve Meadows
12-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm from SW Florida and will be meeting relatives in Jacksonville this weekend. Although I'm familiar with Merritt Island and Canaveral area, I'm wondering if anyone could suggest places for photography in Jacksonville and points south. My relatives are avid birders (one's a pro). Neither are photographers, but they happily indulge me.

Thanks, in advance!

Geoff----I live in Jacksonville and do most of my BIF in St. Augustine. My favorite place is in the Matanzas Inlet/Marineland area. There are lots of shore birds, pelicans, herons, egrets and my favorite--Ospreys. What I usually do is drive through St. Aug towards the beach and drive down A1A south towards Matanzas Inlet. I was there yesterday and took tons of shots of Ospreys, Hawks, Herons, etc. The Ospreys are all over the place down there---PM me and we can talk directions and other places---I recently helped another photog nut from Tenn and he had a great time in that area---Steve

john j. henderson
12-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Ft. Clinch is good for shorebirds (near the pier); Talbot Island does not have an overabundance of birds. The alligator farm is always an option, it is a bit early in the year but the spoonbills are in the trees now and a couple other waders are beginning to show.

Alfred Forns
12-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the information John Much appreciated !!!

ericbowles
12-23-2009, 05:29 AM
About an hour north of Jacksonville is Jekyll Island. It is a prime stopover during migration. The southern end of the island - Jekyll Point - is well known for resting shorebirds - particularly at high tide. The marsh adds variety. Around dusk the pond behind the old amphitheater is a great spot for hundreds of roosting waders - especially night herons and egrets.

john j. henderson
12-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the information John Much appreciated !!!

Always glad to help. Best to you and Fabs

AJ Witt
12-28-2009, 10:50 AM
If you are going to go north of Jacksonville, do not forget the Okefenokee swamp. There should be some pretty good bird activity there about now.

AJ