PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Lake Reflection

Phil Ginn
12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.ourphotographicjourneys.com/Forum%20Photos/image4.jpg

We sure have been learning a lot from our recent postings. We really appreciate your feedback. It is always amazing what basic things someone else can see that we have missed.

This image was taken on our fall trip to Canada. It was taken at Emerald Lake near Field. Most of the time it was very overcast and took some time to get light on all three peaks at the same time. I have had trouble getting the reflection to look right due to the very green color of the water. Still not sure if this one is working or not. A larger image can be seen on our website at http://www.ourphotographicjourneys.com/17%20Fall%20Canada/Gallery%20Panoramas.htm

It is a merged photograph from three images taken at 13mm, f25, ISO100,1/13 seconds. Thanks for looking.<O:p</O:p

Dave Mills
12-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi Phil, Nice job stitching the pano and great light on the mountains which was well worth waiting for. Interesting comp and in this case I think the buildings and gazebo work in the image. The sky is dramatic and well lit.I thought the image was a bit dark and I brought it up in S/H.(not much applied) I used the image from your website since I could see it better. Not quite sure if I like the canoe in the foreground on the right.The shoreline is almost dividing the image in half and at times compositionally it's good to either make the foreground or backround different sizes.
However, I do think it's a pleasing image!!

Phil Ginn
12-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks Dave I am having trouble getting my shadows bright enough on most of my images. Would it be possible to post a screen shot of the curve you applied?

Dave Blinder
12-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Beautiful pano Phil, nice comp and I like the lighting too.

Dave - Excellent repost, really brings out the best on this one.

Dave Mills
12-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi Phil. I lightly hit it with Shadows and Highlights. No curve adj....Play with it and you'll see how it comes up but not too much or you might get halos.

Roman Kurywczak
12-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey Phil,
Very dramatic range and light.....still torn on the 2 outside edges especially the RH side. Part of me feels the curve is nice/beneficial while the other part feels the larger mass of the evergreens on both outside edges draws the eye too much.
After studying this for a while I feel it would be stronger w/o both those shorelines and tree masses......try the crop out and see if it works for you.

Nick Palmieri
12-16-2009, 07:49 AM
I kinda like the canoe on the right, the left side bothers me a bit. Maybe others can comment... but in my experience using a non-auto white balance on panos made them easier to adjust in PP...maybe that is why you are having problems with brightening shadows??? Overall that is a real sweet image!

Brent Wellander
12-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Nice looking pano...love the light on the mountains...the repost is nice showing more detail where my eye is now drawn to the lodge area!

Fabs Forns
12-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Very dramatic pano, with great skies and compositional balance. I like Dave's repost bringing out more detail in the shadows.