PDA

View Full Version : Icelandic winter sky....................

Tom Dolezal
12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2906-Edit-2.jpg

Larger version here (http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2906-Edit-2-3.jpg)

A midday winter scene on Iceland's South coast.

Technical: Canon 5D, Canon 15 Fish eye, f/8, 1/800, 0 EV, ISO 400, 0 EV, AV mode

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Lance Warley
12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
That sky could be from a wall inside the Sistine Chapel. Just stunning - -the light, the color palette, the cloud shapes.

Two thoughts/suggestions: I wonder if you had the option to try to get something into the fg to possibly add some depth. Also, I think it could use a bit of ccw rotation.

Really beautiful.

Dave Mills
12-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi Tom, A sky that we all wait to see and you were fortunate to capture.Very dramatic and well handled. The horizon is distorted but that was due to using the fisheye. If you choose it could be straightened. I would like to see a bit more in the foreground which is nicely lit. Are the whitish areas in the fg ponds or buildings?

Tom Dolezal
12-15-2009, 03:02 AM
That sky could be from a wall inside the Sistine Chapel. Just stunning - -the light, the color palette, the cloud shapes.

Two thoughts/suggestions: I wonder if you had the option to try to get something into the fg to possibly add some depth. Also, I think it could use a bit of ccw rotation.

Really beautiful.

Thank you for your comments Lance - very much appreciated. The fg is a lava field and therefore very much void of fg interest. Very much the reason for that crop as I felt that it was necessary to have some fg visible but trying to keep it to a minimum. As for the ccw rotation I don't think so as it is a combination of the use of the fish eye and also that there is also land on that horizon so that there is a difficulty to identify a true horizon.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Hi Tom, A sky that we all wait to see and you were fortunate to capture.Very dramatic and well handled. The horizon is distorted but that was due to using the fisheye. If you choose it could be straightened. I would like to see a bit more in the foreground which is nicely lit. Are the whitish areas in the fg ponds or buildings?

Thank you very much Dave for your comments. As you have picked up about the horizon being due to the use of a fish eye. I also took this scene with a 16-35 lens but preferred this version very much as it was already a weird scene with that low sun and the lava field fg and I tried the fish eye as I wanted to exaggerate that feel of weirdness.
I think a case of personal taste.

As I replied to Lance the fg is a lava field and hence very bland and it was trying keep just some of that fg to help emphasis that sky.

The whitish area's are just small ponds - just left them in as that was the only fg interest available.

Tom

Dave Blinder
12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Tom - Love the sky and lighting.

Roman Kurywczak
12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Tom,
That's a killer sky! I like it so much I may consider eliminating the FG entirely.....for just a sweet skyscape!

Tom Dolezal
12-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Tom - Love the sky and lighting.

Thank for your comments Dave - much appreciated.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi Tom,
That's a killer sky! I like it so much I may consider eliminating the FG entirely.....for just a sweet skyscape!

Cheers Roman - a dream sky and it was like that for most of the 3 hours of daylight.

A edit along the lines you suggested is: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2906-Edit-2-Edit-1.jpg.

A interesting viewpoint but it doesn't work for me as I feel it needs a tad more fg sea.

Tom

Roman Kurywczak
12-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey Tom,
I agree. Just a touch more.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Great sky and composition

Tom Dolezal
12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Great sky and composition

Thanks for your comments Dennis - much appreciated.