PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and IPT

Dave Brown
12-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you guys who run IPT's generally have some sort of general liability insurance to protect yourselves from potential claims by participants, or can you rely on something like an assumption of risk form? I'm not sure if it is required in Canada to have insurance when leading this type of tour. I ask because I will be leading a tour this summer and a colleague suggested I might look into insurance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As of now, I do not have an official business,this is just a side project.

Dave Brown

Scott Grant
12-14-2009, 09:01 AM
i won't sue, i promise Dave. :D

Charles Glatzer
12-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Dave,

I know their are a bunch of photog's who only do a few workshops per year and squeak by without insurance, permits, visas, etc. Insurance required or not I believe is absolutely necessary if you plan to remain solvent. The risk is yours! Some overseas trips we require proof of med and evac insurance as well. Never know, eh ;) Moreover, I know of leaders being thrown out and/or fined in US and Canadian National Parks because they did not have the correct documentation, etc. Dot those I's and cross those T's! FYI- we are also incorporated. Ever wonder why some leaders are more costly than others, maybe it involves a closer look and a bit more questioning on the part of the participant prior to booking.

Best in your endeavor

Chas

david cramer
12-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I second what Charles has posted. I only do a few workshops a year, but I am fully permitted and insured. The Federal agencies that I work with (Bosque del Apache, BLM, Park Service) will not permit you without insurance. But best of all, it is for your own protection to get insured. I would only want to take a workshop from someone who is insured and permitted. If they cut corners to save money, I'd suggest that they probably cut corners in other ways too.

Dave Brown
12-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Hey,

Thanks guys for the valuable info and lol @ Scott. Good to know..but can I get that in writing :D

Dave Brown