PDA

View Full Version : Hanging on

caseyargall
12-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi, i had a photo i really liked but on forums i was getting negitive responce to it so...i've taken some of there advise and cropped it to put focus on the important part...let me know if its any good..?
it is a dandelion flower up close with part of it come off but still "hanging on".
canon 1000d
canon 100mm macro
f/2.8
1/160
100mm
on camera flash
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2531/4183917027_fafd8fd6da_o.jpg

Alfred Forns
12-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Casey Wouldn't call suggestions negative feedback !! Just more set of eyes helping out for the next image !!

I like what you are trying to do and managed a mostly clean bg !!! My main problem here is I'm not sure what to look at ... need something in the first plane all in focus to grab attention. Crop wise I would try to show the stems entirely (from the base) and at top would start with a clean edge, not a partial stem.

I think the best approach is isolating one element and working it. This is pretty but complex and difficult to bring it all together !! Looking forward to the next one !!

Jerry van Dijk
12-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Casey, great detail, BG and exposure on this difficult subject. I think Alfred hit the nail on the head! The strong point I like is the diagonal the seed that's "hanging on" forms by pointing in the LL corner. Working this strong point and taking a the minimalistic approach suggested by Alfred I came up with this solution: rotated 90 degrees CCW and cloned out the green stem and one "feather". I also cropped the image for less distraction, placing the focal point in the rule of thirds hotspot. Hope you don't mind me fiddling with your image.

Alfred Forns
12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Works for me Jerry !!! Never thought about that composition but sure simplifies the image !!! Sweet !!!

Julie Kenward
12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Either image I still have a problem with the top half being IN focus and the back half of the same seed out of focus (OOF). If that one seed was entirely in focus and everything else were blurry I'd be fine with it. As is, it's really hard to get the eye to want to accept part way in/part way out. Maybe it's just me...

Nice work on exposing the whites, though and you sure got a smooth BG. If you had just moved so the one seed was totally in the same focal plane (step or two to the right) I think this would have been a stronger overall image.

caseyargall
12-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Thankyou all for your advice :)
i have alot to learn but i'm keen to!
this was taken about 1hr after i got my macro lens, which goes to 2.8, i went out side to try it out and found the dandelion and starting shooting problem was at the time i didn't fully understand the smaller the aperture number the less in focus, i just saw that i was getting more light...i think my liking of this photo is the memory behind it and that prob gets in the way of looking at it properly.

oh and yes it is ok Jerry :)

Mike Moats
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey Casey, I like your version and also think Jerry;s repost works as well. I think you did well on your focus point and good BG for someone just starting with a new macro lens.:)

caseyargall
12-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Hey Casey, I like your version and also think Jerry;s repost works as well. I think you did well on your focus point and good BG for someone just starting with a new macro lens.:)

Thanks Mike :)